Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Do Work!
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if a lot of you guys wear your full leathers when going for a ride, not riding at the track. I am very tempted to buy a suit and all but was wondering if its worth it for the street. What do you suit up in for a sunday ride around the twisties?

·
Registered
90 Posts
i wear my full gear when i ride , be sick if i came off and got rashed up knowing i had leathers at home :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Its totally worth it.. one day.. the crash might come.. and it wil save u from alot of crap.. :p

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Sunday ride in the twisties yes full leather. Going to work, riding around town, usually textile stuff. But always gear, even pants, jeans might be ok in a slow tipover but wear right through sliding on pavement.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Sunday ride in the twisties yes full leather. Going to work, riding around town, usually textile stuff. But always gear, even pants, jeans might be ok in a slow tipover but wear right through sliding on pavement.
^+1

·
Registered
280 Posts
How well do those leathers hold up? I mean if im goign on the highway at 65mph and i fall of the bike, my guess is every piece of skin that comes in contact with the road will rip right off...

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
I don't have full leathers yet. Just got my bike at the end of May. Normally I wear my icon boots, mesh jacket with spine protector, gloves and helmet. Don't have any riding pants yet. Cheating and wearing jeans for now.

Most likely won't be getting full leathers until later. We don't have twisties and hills here in Houston. All flat and all straight. :( oh and HOT as an oven.

·
I stall my R6
148 Posts
How well do those leathers hold up? I mean if im goign on the highway at 65mph and i fall of the bike, my guess is every piece of skin that comes in contact with the road will rip right off...
I have seen leathers hold up pretty well after someone goes down at the track 100+ Their bones are not in the best shape but their skin and all is intact.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
Leather suits will hold up amazingly well. The professional racers use them and they seem to work well enough when they crash at over 100, sometimes well over 100. Shinya Nakano had a tire blow out at the end of the front straight at Mugello in MotoGP. He was going something like 180 mph when his tire disintegrated and he crashed, sliding and tumbling all the way back to 0 miles per hour. He raced the next day.

·
Do Work!
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I usually ride in timbs, jeans, A* gloves, textile or A* leather jacket (depending on weather)
I guess what's holding me back is how expensive the gear is...

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I ride with a 1 piece suit, gloves, boots and lid when on group rides. When I ride to work I ride with a leather jacket, jeans, boots, and a lid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
just got leather pants to go with jacket, so i tried them out this past weekend on the twisties, if it wasn't so hot out here, i would do it everytime i go to the twisties, but come winter any rides to the twisties, i will have full 2-piece suit on! it was something like 113 yesterday and when we get in our car in the morning to go to work its already close to 100!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Good leathers should hold up thru multiple get-offs....even if they were only to last for a couple, they are cheaper to replace than skin. When I rode street (track only now), I would wear full leather all the time.

Crashing isn't only in the twisties - sure, that is where YOU are pushing it the most and are most likely to go down from somethng you did, but cagers not paying attn happens in traffic, so you are probably just as likely to go down there due to what someone else is doing.

I would prefer to be prepared for a crash no matter where it happens or who caused it - even if it means I sweat a little in my leathers.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
I don't have full leathers yet. Just got my bike at the end of May. Normally I wear my icon boots, mesh jacket with spine protector, gloves and helmet. Don't have any riding pants yet. Cheating and wearing jeans for now.

Most likely won't be getting full leathers until later. We don't have twisties and hills here in Houston. All flat and all straight. :( oh and HOT as an oven.
There are lots of twisties within 45 minutes from you to ride.

If you want to venture to the hill country that is just west of austin and has the best roads in the state.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts