Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently I'm not good with the "Search" function on this site, cause I can never find what I'm looking for LOL!

So, sorry if this has been discussed 100 times already.

Anyways.... I am going to do a track day at the end of August down at Mid-Ohio. so, I need a suit and boots. Obviously I'm not Rossi or Stoner, so I dont need some high dollar BS. I want something decent, that breathes well, cause I sweat like a pig when I ride in my normal Joe Rocket Ballistic type jacket even with the liner out. I like the looks of the Alpinestars suits and a few others. Lookin for some of you that have been doin this for a while to help a Squid out

So, what kind of suit should i be shootin for, and how much should I be lookin to spend (including boots)? Thanks in advance for all your input!

Patrick

·
Registered
853 Posts
I'm on a college budget, and I was able to get a full set of leathers, boots and gloves for less than $500. It's not a fancy all matching suit, but it works great, and they're good reliable brands. Alpinestars leather jacket, AGV Sportrider Pants, Sidi B-2 Boots, and Cortech Adrenaline gloves. The jacket and pants are vented leather, which helps with the heat. I'd check out newenough[dot]com for some good deals. If you do some shopping around, you can do it for about $500, but be prepared to spend up to $1500 if you're picky and don't want mixed-matched gear. Plus, generally you get what you pay for, so if you can afford to spend more, I would.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...Plus, generally you get what you pay for, so if you can afford to spend more, I would.
that part of your advice is HORRIBLE. "if you CAN afford to, then pay more"?? why? why not just find what you want, and THEN scour the internet for the cheapest price.

overall, though, i agree with you. you CAN get a full get-up for about $500 if you're not super picky. but spending more isn't ALWAYS better. good name brands can be found cheap all over the net, and with a little "search engine work", you'll be fine.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
that part of your advice is HORRIBLE. "if you CAN afford to, then pay more"?? why? why not just find what you want, and THEN scour the internet for the cheapest price.

overall, though, i agree with you. you CAN get a full get-up for about $500 if you're not super picky. but spending more isn't ALWAYS better. good name brands can be found cheap all over the net, and with a little "search engine work", you'll be fine.
I think when it comes to safety gear, you cant go cheap. Its the only thing thats going to save your ass if you go down. Im saving so that i can get something nice. I could by a $500 suit today, but id rather get something reliable.
:poke

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I think when it comes to safety gear, you cant go cheap. Its the only thing thats going to save your ass if you go down. Im saving so that i can get something nice. I could by a $500 suit today, but id rather get something reliable.
:poke
this is where i think you're misguided... no offense. i KNOW there are deals to be found on quality "name brand" items all over the net. you just gotta look for em. but simply buying something that costs more doesn't mean you're automatically getting a better product. it could, but it could also mean that i "shopped" harder than you and found a better deal. that's all i was saying. just my two cents. (and that's the lowest i can go) lol

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts

I think Frank gave a recommendation and advice per the poster's request. I'm don't see the point in arguing with "Advice". Why not just post up what you think and let others post what the think? Just a recommendation.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
this is where i think you're misguided... no offense. i KNOW there are deals to be found on quality "name brand" items all over the net. you just gotta look for em. but simply buying something that costs more doesn't mean you're automatically getting a better product. it could, but it could also mean that i "shopped" harder than you and found a better deal. that's all i was saying. just my two cents. (and that's the lowest i can go) lol
Ok, I see the pattern now. I guess my recommendation still stands. Let's all post up our recommendations and advice and leave it at that.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
i wasn't trying to argue, and me simply typing a response doesn't reflect the vocal intonations that i would use during a regular face-to-face discussion. i was simply saying that paying more doesn't get you a better product. that's all...

my advice... do some review reading, and decide on a few set-ups that you think will work for you. then go to the local shop and see about trying these sets on to see how you like them in "real life." if you can afford it, then get them there. if not, get BACK on the net and SCOUR like the cheap bastard i am... :)

(didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... sometimes simply typing doesn't convey the true intent of a reply. sorry about that)

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
i wasn't trying to argue, and simply typing a response doesn't reflect the vocal intonations that i would use during a regular face-to-face discussion. i was simply saying that paying more doesn't get you a better product. that's all...

my advice... do some review reading, and decide on a few set-ups that you think will work for you. then go to the local shop and see about trying these sets on to see how you like them in "real life." if you can afford it, then get them there. if not, get BACK on the net and SCOUR like the cheap bastard i am... :)

(didn't mean to ruffle any feathers... sometimes simply typing doesn't convey the true intent of a reply. sorry about that)
Agg, I think you are now arguing with me. The bold part was all you ever needed to say.

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My threads cause gigantic arguments amongst members :( LOL

I think all mfrankpdx was trying to say was, if you buy cheap safety equipment you are going to get what you pay for and probably get hurt. If you spend a little money, and buy quality things you are going to get what you pay for, and probably walk away from a crash. So him saying, if you can afford to spend more, do it was just his way of saying dont go cheap on safety equipment. I fully agree with his statement and didnt think all the follow up arguments are worth the time. I value all of u guys opinions because most likely you have been doing this longer than me.

Please offer more help, but if you are all going to argue, just dont start typing.

Thanks

Patrick

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
...my advice... do some review reading, and decide on a few set-ups that you think will work for you. then go to the local shop and see about trying these sets on to see how you like them in "real life." if you can afford it, then get them there. if not, get BACK on the net and SCOUR like the cheap bastard i am... :)
post #8.

i wish everyone wasn't so sensitive... geez.

·
Happy go Lucky Guy
396 Posts
I am subscribing as I need racing gear also.
=0

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
Hey guys... if you want some leathers that are well put together and affordable go to www.syedleathers.com You can either order a "custom" suit for somewhere in the ball park of 1200 bucks, or you can order a prefabbed "readymade" suit (just like all the others make) for around 8-900 bucks.

·
Negative Ghostrider
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Venomous... what is your budget?
Well, I dont want to spend a lot, but will spend a good amount for quality suit. What do you have in mind?

I found this on ebay. Look any good?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_App...ewItem?hash=item270256712005#ebayphotohosting

I also found this from Kneedraggers (though it's probably on back order as most of their stuff is)
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/AGV_Sport_Forza_2_TwoPiece_Leather_Suit--601293.html
I like that Yamaha stuff. Would match the bike nicely. :) Kinda leary though about a full suit for $350... y so cheap? I mean im not complaining about spending less money, but I read several reviews and most were gleamingly positive, but some said stitching was shotty and I am buying this to hopefully save my skin and all. I dunno.. I wish I could see it in real life..

would u buy one from there?

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
Well, I dont want to spend a lot, but will spend a good amount for quality suit. What do you have in mind?

I like that Yamaha stuff. Would match the bike nicely. :) Kinda leary though about a full suit for $350... y so cheap? I mean im not complaining about spending less money, but I read several reviews and most were gleamingly positive, but some said stitching was shotty and I am buying this to hopefully save my skin and all. I dunno.. I wish I could see it in real life..

would u buy one from there?
You pretty much get what you pay for. That said, you should always look for the best pricing for a given suit, but there are different tiers of suits depending on your budget. I tend to stay away from budget suits, unless the pricing happens to be for a normally pricier suit on closeout. I swear by CE armor in my suits as they normally provide pretty good impact protection. Keep in mind that there are different grades of leather (thicknesses, grain, etc.) I always look for the best pricing, however, I firmly believe you should spend the most you can comfortably afford, especially when it comes to protection. You mention that this was for an upcoming trackday... it's safe to assume that you will be traveling at well above your average normal speed. I hope you never have to test it, but it serves your best interest to get that which will protect you the best within your budget. Can you spend around $1K. That would open up your options significantly...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts