Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

How far back should I be sitting in full tuck? Right now i've got my ass against the tail hump and after looking at pictures it looks too far back.

Is that why you see guys with pads on the tail hump?

I easily lift the front under WOT in first, and shift to bring it down.

Cheers,
Panici

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats how far I sit back, but I'm just under 6'1"
I'm 5'11" for reference.

But that's not the same at all! Rossi's bike was designed around him, its the perfect size, with the proper weight distribution and control position.

See how much less of a reach he has for the controls?

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
As long as your not tucking at 45mph around the city, you look fine regardless of where your butt is on the seat

·
Dangerously Irish
9,552 Posts
I sit back till I am in a full on relaxed position, that reminds me I need chest armor.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
I'm 5'11'' as well...I find it more comfortable to scoot all the way back and bend at the waist more versus scooting forward and having to bend my back more.

Plus, I feel less pressure on my wrists that way. :cheers

·
Knee drags YOU!
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just do whatever's comfortable and gets your head below the windscreen.
:werd Guess i'm over-thinking things. Haven't ridden since August :(

I've bumped my helmet's chin bar on the tank a few times, so I must be doing something right!
Maybe I just have to work on my flexibility some more so I can consistently tuck to that extent.

·
Parts Pimp
26,456 Posts
It looks to me like you are too far back. I say this cause your arms are hardly bent. You're gonna need to slide forward to push those bars and pull yourself into position to execute a turn

And your knees aren't even touching the tank or near where you would want them in order to brace yourself for braking tome

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Just do whatever's comfortable and gets your head below the windscreen.
+1

You have no real use for being in a full tuck if you are lifting the front in 1st gear. In other words, at that speed you aren't going fast enough, or trying to move through air fast enough for it to make a difference.

The real question is, what gearing are you running that you are using 1st gear exiting corners on a 600cc bike? That may be where you need to focus your attention instead of ass placement.

(if you race on some REALLY short track that I have never seen, then disregard that question)

I have raced several different 600cc bikes (including a 675cc bike) at lots of different tracks and the only time I am in first gear is on the launch.

·
Registered
79 Posts
+1

You have no real use for being in a full tuck if you are lifting the front in 1st gear. In other words, at that speed you aren't going fast enough, or trying to move through air fast enough for it to make a difference.

The real question is, what gearing are you running that you are using 1st gear exiting corners on a 600cc bike? That may be where you need to focus your attention instead of ass placement.

(if you race on some REALLY short track that I have never seen, then disregard that question)

I have raced several different 600cc bikes (including a 675cc bike) at lots of different tracks and the only time I am in first gear is on the launch.
Nailed it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com App

·
Team STG Racing
337 Posts
Yep, that isnt all that uncommon. At REAL long tracks, i will put my ass up on the tail section (im 6'2").

Leon Cormeir is another one that comes to mind that does it also.

·
Hey Guy
5,294 Posts
When in full tuck i would stay forward on the seat. It was more comfortable for me, and that way i didnt have to shift back and forth between turns and straightaways.
With my head closer to the windscreen, i felt less turbulence on my helmet. It was all around more comfortable for me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts