Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y'all, I have been creeping in the background of this forum for some time and I just noticed a weird sound coming from the bike. Sounds like its mainly coming from the back of the engine. Kind of sounds like a diesel engine. I can't seem to find anything on the forum relating to this particular issue. I don't know if I am not searching the right keywords or what but any help, insight or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
Hi y'all, I have been creeping in the background of this forum for some time and I just noticed a weird sound coming from the bike. Sounds like its mainly coming from the back of the engine. Kind of sounds like a diesel engine. I can't seem to find anything on the forum relating to this particular issue. I don't know if I am not searching the right keywords or what but any help, insight or opinions will be greatly appreciated.
The Ole r6 tick it's all good, otherwise might be time for a valve adjustment. And this is a 3rd long shot in the dark but the 2 plates on the header (part of air induction system) could be loose.

I did a forced air induction delete and all 4 bolts are supposed to have thread lock but when I took mine off 3 of the 4 bolts didn't have any and it was all oem and didn't look like it was removed previously. My theory is extreme heat can melt thread lock

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
The Ole r6 tick it's all good, otherwise might be time for a valve adjustment. And this is a 3rd long shot in the dark but the 2 plates on the header (part of air induction system) could be loose.

I did a forced air induction delete and all 4 bolts are supposed to have thread lock but when I took mine off 3 of the 4 bolts didn't have any and it was all oem and didn't look like it was removed previously. My theory is extreme heat can melt thread lock
What year is yours, because I could be way off with that 3rd option I have an 03.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What year is yours, because I could be way off with that 3rd option I have an 03.
Thanks for the replies,
I have an '05. I was gonna try to adjust the cct because I finally came across a YouTube video of the exact same sound. Messing with that makes me a bit nervous. How do I know the right tension? Is it bad to make it too tight/loose? I also only notice it at idle, probably because I have an aftermarket exhaust.
Also, extreme heat definitely can melt thread locker. I have a electric mountain board that I use threadlocker on a lot and sometimes the bolt or grub screw gets stuck so I use a blowtorch to melt the thread Locker so I can work on/change the part.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies,
I have an '05. I was gonna try to adjust the cct because I finally came across a YouTube video of the exact same sound. Messing with that makes me a bit nervous. How do I know the right tension? Is it bad to make it too tight/loose? I also only notice it at idle, probably because I have an aftermarket exhaust.
Also, extreme heat definitely can melt thread locker. I have a electric mountain board that I use threadlocker on a lot and sometimes the bolt or grub screw gets stuck so I use a blowtorch to melt the thread Locker so I can work on/change the part.
My theory is extreme heat can melt thread lock

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My theory is extreme heat can melt thread lock
Thanks for the replies,
Sorry for all the edits, I'm new and still trying to get the forum figured out 😋

·
Registered
219 Posts
You could make a video and share it with the community, that way we could help you better.

Yes, both options are bad, too loose you risk the chain moving a few teeth of the cam sprockets and could cause a timing out.

If it is too tight, it could break or damage the sprockets or who knows even break the chain itself if the tension is excessively high.

Regards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You could make a video and share it with the community, that way we could help you better.

Yes, both options are bad, too loose you risk the chain moving a few teeth of the cam sprockets and could cause a timing out.

If it is too tight, it could break or damage the sprockets or who knows even break the chain itself if the tension is excessively high.

Regards.
I have tried posting a video but it keeps saying file too big.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,342 Posts
How, exactly, do you plan on adjusting your CCT? The stock CCT is automatic with no manual adjustment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has a finite range to which it will adjust. Might also be stuck or damaged, or the chain might be worn out. Automatic doesn't mean everlasting (sadly)

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
You can still adjust it even though it's auto I did it on mine, it's not really adjusted though lol just doing what the auto part does while it's off but there is a slot in the little bolt mechanism that allows you to turn it. Which I found strange considering it's automatic, like why even give you the ability if it doesn't do anything lol.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
You can still adjust it even though it's auto I did it on mine, it's not really adjusted though lol just doing what the auto part does while it's off but there is a slot in the little bolt mechanism that allows you to turn it. Which I found strange considering it's automatic, like why even give you the ability if it doesn't do anything lol.
I also listened to the last vid again and it kinda sounds like it might be an exhaust leak in the #2 exhaust. And I have noticed it sounds louder no matter where you're trying to listen from making it seem like it's a round object making the noise and in the middle. Just sounds like a piston hitting TDC but a little louder because the exhaust might be leaking

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,342 Posts
That slot is not an adjustment, it is a release mechanism to retract the plunger. You can’t use it to go the other way.

·
Registered
2003 yzf r6
96 Posts
That slot is not an adjustment, it is a release mechanism to retract the plunger. You can’t use it to go the other way.
Oh no, is mine broken then if it goes the other way?
Or can you put in a manual one and maybe previous owner forgot to mention it...hopefully lol?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,342 Posts
Oh no, is mine broken then if it goes the other way?
Or can you put in a manual one and maybe previous owner forgot to mention it...hopefully lol?
The manual ones look like a threaded bolt with a jam nut sticking out of the engine.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts