Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used 2000 R6 after idling for a while or a quick hard ride a smell of funky feet comes from the bike. I plan on getting the carbs synched and a tuneup. Do you guys have any idea on what could be making this smell? Also if the bike is in neutral and the bike is revved there is a little hesitation then it revs. Any help would be appreciated before i bring the bike to get tuned up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hmmm...

chances are good that when you get the carbs cleaned and tuned you problem will be taken care of. if you have had fuel stabilizer in the tank it will give off a funky odor when it burns through the system. good luck and if you are still getting hesitation...get it re-jetted!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hesitation before the bike revs points to the carbs. Could be lots of things though. As for the smell, is any plastics touching the header?

My cousin burnt his plastics on his exaust after he put one side on wrong. It stunk pretty bad.

-DJ1298

·
Registered
16 Posts
have you ever smelled heated coolant before? smells pretty bad and very distinctive. My R6 had a tiny leak on one of the radiator hoses and I could smell coolant here and there..... check your radiator hoses.... just another 2 cents on what the problem might be. with the smell thatis :hammer

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Change yur oil and look at the stuff that comes out.

If there is water droplets in it, you are in trouble...

If it looks BURNT...bad too...

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I had a certified Honda and Suzuki mechanic look the bike over before I bought it. He said everything seemed to be good. The thingI was nervous about was that the oil light or the temp light (not sure which one it is, its on the tach)was on and the indicator was blinking. He said Yamaha had a problem with light. He said since the bike didn't shut off it,it rode and made no noises it was good. Said there could be some dirt on the sensor. Could this be correct along with the other problem with the smell, or should I just take it to the shop ASAP and let them deal with it?

·
Registered
828 Posts
The oil light on the R1 and R6 has always been sesitive. Make sure that there is the right amout of oil in the bike. Not over filled, or running dry. The sesor could be dirty or faulty. Also drain a little oil out into a pan and look at it. See if there is water in the oil. If there is, could be a blown head gasket.

-DJ1298

G

·
check for dead critters in your pipe maybe????i have heard of little buggers getting in there....making a nest....then when you go to start it up......Crispy Critter(s) stuck in your pipe....heheheh

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
PrettyR6 said:
Well I had a certified Honda and Suzuki mechanic look the bike over before I bought it. He said everything seemed to be good. The thingI was nervous about was that the oil light or the temp light (not sure which one it is, its on the tach)was on and the indicator was blinking. He said Yamaha had a problem with light. He said since the bike didn't shut off it,it rode and made no noises it was good. Said there could be some dirt on the sensor. Could this be correct along with the other problem with the smell, or should I just take it to the shop ASAP and let them deal with it?
it is bad if your oil light is on. it could be the sensor, but GET IT FIXED RIGHT AWAY. if something does go wrong that would normally make the oil light go on, but it is already on, you could be in serious trouble.

curious, did this mechanic, the one who told you that if the bike is not making noises, it is fine, did he work for the dealer you bought the bike from??

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
PrettyR6 said:
it is bad if your oil light is on. it could be the sensor, but GET IT FIXED RIGHT AWAY. if something does go wrong that would normally make the oil light go on, but it is already on, you could be in serious trouble.

curious, did this mechanic, the one who told you that if the bike is not making noises, it is fine, did he work for the dealer you bought the bike from??

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Figured out what the smell was. After the plastics were painted they were put on improperly and the chin plate that covers the headers melted to the headers. So that solved that problem. It is too cold in NY to ride and get my tuneup done. :roll: Do you guys know how much it usually runs to get a bike jetted. I am thinking of going that route. And also about how many miles do you get out of a full tank.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I get anywhere from 90 miles to 145 miles depending on how i ride

·
Registered
106 Posts
I was about to say, i knew what the prob- is! i would of guessed that it was thos HONDA and SUZUKI mechanics!!! :hammer pulling a fast one!LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.