Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving down 23 to Columbus from Delaware Ohio and this car wreck happened and it was bad enough that they had to call in life flight... so I am sitting in traffic waiting to go but realize they are not going to let me go because this Helicopter was landing on the north bound lane about 30-35 feet away from me! I almost whipped out my phone to get it on video but was worried that I would drop it or not put it back the right way and loose it going down the road so I didn’t and thank god! Because if I was not holding the bike when the chopper was about 10 feet off the ground then I would have been on my face! not sure if anyone else has run into this problem but FYI get away if you are on your bike and a chopper is landing near you, not only did it almost knock me over but it started throwing rocks and dirt! I moved into the burm beside a van for protection.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
...So did you get a good smell of the exhaust? Helicopter exhaust smells like a barbecue (just the charcoal burning) to me.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Rotor wash that is a new concern. I have been in helicopters before but never had to get my bike near one while it was fired up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i didnt think i would need to know this untill the med flight lands right beside me.... i dont remember what it smelled like i was to busy shitting my pants

·
MY MV EATS MY R6
10,744 Posts
thats crazy but like it was said above if the helicopter is chasing you either you stop or just die its over then

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
You know... I've always wondered why people duck under heilicoptors and hold onto their wigs/Mr. badass haircut.

I was an SH-60B Seahawk helicopter crewman for 15 years... with a wind-gust, the blades CAN droop!! They can FLEX 2-3 FEET rather quickly and without warning to anyone on the ground. On the SH-60 family the MOST dangerous area is the 10 to 2 o'clock position since the rotor-head is built with a 2.5 degree forward tilt. The blades pass the ground about 8 feet above the ground at the 12 o-clock, so with a 4 foot flex... that blade is SUDDENLY close to being a 5 foot WEED WACKER !!

Once while hot-refueling (rotors spinning) our bird on the ship, I WATCHED a deck-crewman exit the rotor-arc at the 1 o'clock position and get HIT. He was VERY lucky as it was a glancing blow... it still threw him 20 ft and cracked his cranial (helmet), but he lived and was working the next day.

ALWAYS enter the rotor arc at the 3 or 9... and have your safety glasses or goggles ON.

is that true?!

·
Canyon Carving
458 Posts
not saying I would but if a chopper is chasing you couldn't you try to lose it in/around/at an airport? or is that whole no fly zone/fly over stuff not a thing anymore?

·
Registered
46 Posts
By the time you got there, the airspace would be cleared... And with the cameras they have on there now, they don't have to be over the top of you anyway.

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
Check the date of the OP fellas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts