Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a few pics of my garage after tearing down the motor on my race bike. I spun a rod bearing at Barber in June and am awaiting some back ordered piston rings before learning the tricks and secrets of building a full supersport motor with the help of a friend.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
Nice.. I actually have the wife talked into letting me buy a new bike lift. We are looking at buying a bigger house once my wife get finished with nursing school, and I already told her that we are at least getting a 3 car garage so that I can block off one side for my shop.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My 3 car garage is the best room in the house... I've got one bay turned into a shop fully dedicated to the R6. The middle bay is for the truck, and the last by is pulls double duty as speedster storage/game room. I put up a dart board and the poker table comes out from time to time...

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice.. I actually have the wife talked into letting me buy a new bike lift. We are looking at buying a bigger house once my wife get finished with nursing school, and I already told her that we are at least getting a 3 car garage so that I can block off one side for my shop.
Get a Handy lift. I found mine for 499. They get you with freight-- 200 bucks! It's the best tool for motorcycle maint.

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
Get a Handy lift. I found mine for 499. They get you with freight-- 200 bucks! It's the best tool for motorcycle maint.
That maybe what I was looking at. I know that it was well under $1,000 shipped.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i like the colour scheme of that fairing. it must look awesome when put on the bike. any pics of it whole?
All I've got is a quick camera phone pic from when I was mocking up the bodywork before I blew the rod bearing last month. It's an Attack Composites body painted by Chad Jensen of MCProdesign.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks! I'm a bit weary of going nuts on the track because I dont want to have to rebuild it with all the time, effort and money invested $$$ But it wasnt meant to be a museum piece and she'll get some track time starting next month!

·
Registered
998 Posts
That block is clean! Did you do it by hand or use a dip tank?

A good machine shop will help you build it the way you want.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
That block is clean! Did you do it by hand or use a dip tank?

A good machine shop will help you build it the way you want.
The big red box in the pics above is the parts washer I used to clean the cases. That case actually hasnt been cleaned yet! haha I've got to run a hone thru the cyl. walls and deburr a spot in the no. 1 cyl. where the rod gouged a spot... you can spot it in the pic. Shouldnt be too bad. I have been keeping the garage spotless ever since the head came back together. Dirt is the enemy here.

My mechanic buddy who is teaching me how to perform a supersport rebuild is actually connected with some of the Nascar mechanics in Concord, NC where we are getting the machine work done. They do sick machine work.

Only thing that's stopping us is the 'effin UPS guy. I'm waiting on some backordered piston ring sets that should be here on Monday. :mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts