Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a 00 R6 and wondering if it is wise to use gas additives such as STP to clean internal engine parts?

redline it

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just don't put too much in as it will dilute the gas. I use carb cleaner additive on my 00' once a year. (About 4 oz.) Once you add it go for a long ride to burn up the tank of gas, making sure you redline it often to move more fuel through the jets. (Don't know if this really does any good, but it is more fun than just a slow ride around town)

·
Registered
409 Posts
anybody ever try marvel mystery oil in their gas its suppossed to lube the upper parts of the motor Ive done it before and it doesnt make any noticable difference but its supossed to work

·
Registered
327 Posts
My boyfriend dumped a whole quart of automatic transmission fluid in with a tank of gas. It idles a lot better, and overall sounds a lot smoother. He did that a couple thousand miles ago. He said it was a trick he used to do with some cars he had. ATF has so many cleaners and detergents in it, that it pretty much cleans anything it comes in contact with.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Automatic Transmission Fluid???

Wow.. never heard adding Automatic Transmission fluid in the gas tank before. Is there a special kind that he used??? Or Did he just pick on up from the auto store?

:roll:

·
Registered
836 Posts
There is this stuff called BG 44k.

Best engine treatment that you can get. I run a tank full of it every other oil change on all my cars... and the last car I sold had 235k miles on it and the engine was still as strong as the day it was new.

Run it in my racebike every 3 or 4 oil changes and it really keeps the throttle response crisp.

Well worth the $20 a can.. (I get it cheaper through a sponsor)

·
Registered
836 Posts
loki1313 said:
can you et that at the local autozone or pepboys :?:
I have never seen it at a place like that... I used to get it from my mechanic before I came by my current deal.

I have seen it at gas stations that have a mechanic on site as well... it comes in a can.

Good stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
loki1313 said:
i just cant beleive he used a whole quart :poke
I can't either now that I think about it...Next time I'd probably only use half...nah, probably not...my "just a little more" would get to me, and I'd have the whole thing in there again.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Big_Perm said:
loki1313 said:
i just cant beleive he used a whole quart :poke
I can't either now that I think about it...Next time I'd probably only use half...nah, probably not...my "just a little more" would get to me, and I'd have the whole thing in there again.
now what possesed you to put in the whole quart perm, i would think half would work more than good :?:

·
Registered
106 Posts
We used to use this super-concentrated-detergent-mixture-stuff (yes that's it's technical name...lol) in the last deisel shop I worked at that we would just hook the fuel line of the engine we were going to clean up to, and let it run for a while. You could actually hear the engine start to run better, and smoother, as it was running on this stuff.
The mixture was basically ATF and fuel, although the inventors of the stuff we used would NEVER admit it, but it was. Since our bikes have no O2 sensors, or anything else in the exhaust that ATF might damage, you can't go wrong with a little too much.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just remember that anything you put in your gas leans your fuel mixture to your engine. If i ever used something like ATF, i would only do so at idle or VERY low engine speeds. If you have enough addatives mixed into the gas, you are gonna be pretty lean and up top rpms will be way more prone to detonation.

As far as like fuel injector cleaner goes....I wouldnt worry about it as much, just use the correct suggested amount and ride around on that tank easily until it's burnt up.

Although, if you ride your bike enough and keep fresh fuel in it and do correct timely maintenance, you should never have to worry about any additives.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts