Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-lately(last couple months) i've been smelling gas more frequently. mainly at start up. sometimes after riding for awhile and coming to a complete stop. for example. tonight is a cold night, after work i started it- and let it run for a few minutes to warm up. afterawhile it started to DEFINATELY smell like gas. i would understand if it's once in awhile. but it happens too frequently to just pass off as normal. it's an 04 with 2600.... gas mileage isn't no more than 88miles to tha tank... thats keeping it below 6k.....

power commander my only answer to my problems????

·
IQ = Post Count
1,731 Posts
mahie023 said:
...gas mileage isn't no more than 88miles to tha tank... thats keeping it below 6k.....
Dude that's crap, you need to bring it in and get it checked, 88 miles to the tank=poo! I get well over 120 and I'm always over 10 grand. Furthermore, how to you keep an R6 UNDER 6k? Bike has NO power down there.

·
looking for more curves
1,881 Posts
mahie023 said:
yeah- i was experimenting to see if i could get more mpg if i kept the rpms lower...... but what could the problem be tho?
It could explain the low gas mileage , since running at a lower RPM in a higher gear could use more gas. This however does NOT explain the gas smell when you start it.

Thank stoneloco's advice and lift your tank (two front bolt hold it down, it pivots towards the back... taking you seat off probably is a good idea in case gas spills out... also do it on a mostly empty tank) and looking at the lines. Or have the deal fix that sh1t since it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
talked to a guy at the dealership- said it "sounded low for mpg" but "it sounds alright". he started to go on about how it doesn't sound like it's nothing too serious but i should keep an eye on it. i asked what could be asome factors and he listed the quality of gas in CA, the fact that i always fill right when the light comes on- he said with the light on is another 10-20 miles... which would total out to be around 100 added on top of my 80 before light.... he kept insisting it wasn't too major..... i haven't opened her up yet(will do later this weekend) so i'll just keep an eye out for now...

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
i think that guy is brushing you off man, it may not be bad but it aint right. i get 120 before my light comes on and i rarely drive under 6k. i would take it in and tell them to fix it no matter what they think is OK.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I agree with Loki. I get 120+ before my light comes on. Also, with a fuel injected system you shouldn't be smelling gas.

Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
mahie023 said:
-lately(last couple months) i've been smelling gas more frequently. mainly at start up. sometimes after riding for awhile and coming to a complete stop. for example. tonight is a cold night, after work i started it- and let it run for a few minutes to warm up. afterawhile it started to DEFINATELY smell like gas. i would understand if it's once in awhile. but it happens too frequently to just pass off as normal. it's an 04 with 2600.... gas mileage isn't no more than 88miles to tha tank... thats keeping it below 6k.....

power commander my only answer to my problems????

any updates on this? Old post, but I"m having the same problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.