Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some dude on a vespa rolled up next to me at a stop light and asked me how many miles i get to the gallon. I told him it gets 42-45 mpg (which it did when i first bought it). He said that his 150cc vespa gets 90mpg. I was thinking, "wow. that's not that great when you think about the ratios." My engine is 4 times as big as his, and he gets a little more than twice as many miles per gallon.
Then he goes, "yah. Its a lot of fun." So i wheelied past him through a couple of gears. To each his own...

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
You can do the same thing between us and cars. My friend has a 3.2 liter that gets 28 mpg. My engine is less than 1/5 of his. Do I get 5 times the gas mileage? I wish.

In other words, gas mileage is not directly proportionate to engine size.

·
Hey Guy
5,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can do the same thing between us and cars. My friend has a 3.2 liter that gets 28 mpg. My engine is less than 1/5 of his. Do I get 5 times the gas mileage? I wish.

In other words, gas mileage is not directly proportionate to engine size.
Good call. What do you get for gas mileage? Im around 35-37 with the PCIII

·
My KTM is partly Orange
492 Posts
I cant beliece the mileage some of you guys get. I get 30 if Im lucky. Do you guys push your bikes, or actually ride them?

I dont ride mine hard all teh time and I barely break 30.

·
Living 1/4 mile at a time
1,143 Posts
Uhhh... I wonder what kind of millage you get when really ridding hard... you know... always shifting at Red line and riding high in the rpms... maybe 20mph if that?

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
I cant beliece the mileage some of you guys get. I get 30 if Im lucky. Do you guys push your bikes, or actually ride them?

I dont ride mine hard all teh time and I barely break 30.
if you're a big guy, it takes a bit more gas to get you moving. i'm 6', 210 and last i checked i was getting about 34-35 mpg. i've heard of little 5'-8", 165 lb kids getting 43-45 mpg.

p.s. i RARELY "ride" mine... it's just too easy to push it, so i do. :)

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
what you should have told him was:
"Do you really think I bought an R6 to save money on fuel?"

My truck gets alot worse milage than my 6 but it seems i spend more on fuel for the bike in the long run. I fill up every 3 days and fuel here is $7.32 a gallon for 94 octane at Chevron.

if you're a big guy, it takes a bit more gas to get you moving. i'm 6', 210 and last i checked i was getting about 34-35 mpg. i've heard of little 5'-8", 165 lb kids getting 43-45 mpg.
I know what you mean. I'm 6'3 220lbs.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
what you should have told him was:
"Do you really think I bought an R6 to save money on fuel?"

My truck gets alot worse milage than my 6 but it seems i spend more on fuel for the bike in the long run. I fill up every 3 days and fuel here is $7.32 a gallon for 94 octane at Chevron.
1) 94 OCTANE?! holy hell, i thought 93 was tops. nice!
2) $7.32/gal?! you gotta be kiddin'! sucks for you... you should move to houston... we're still hovering around $4.20/gal. (and no, not 420 ha ha 420)
3) since i've gotten the bike (june 2nd) i've filled up my truck once (on june 6th... it was a ways to get to the bike and bring her back). filling up for the first time SINCE then later today... probably will cost me $95 (25 gallons @ $3.899/gal). sounds good, but you're right, i've already sunk like $100 into my bike's tank since getting her, so it's about the same. however, the FUN factor is WAY better on the bike. :) plus chicks dig bikes more than 4-wheel drive pickups.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts