Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
06 R6 track bike with Dyno-jet quick shifter and PC111

Which brand gear indicator would you recommend for my track bike ?
Where can I purchase them online (I am in Oz)
How easy are they to instal on to the loom or do they plug into an existing socket and if so which one and where is it ?
Is this something I can do myself (I have some mechanical skill ) or should my local mechanic do it.
Your opinion and help would be greatly appreciated .

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
it's nice to have, but after a while maybe due to riding on the same track or frequent it the most, you kinda know which gear you're in sub consciously even when you're down shifting going into a turn just the way the bike pulls and feels.

but i do have one on my gpx, nice to see where i'm at when reviewing the session. the link provided above i hear is great as well. there's a plug and play version and a solder version. both are great.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
I got two Pzero plug and play indicators just for the moments I lose focus and my gear count, it has helped some... That said, I have to agree with Maddasgascar, after a while (at least for the track) you know what gear you are in; I've since stopped looking at it as much. For the street, this is very helpful for not hitting gear 7, like when I'm on my S....:laugh

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I only ride the bike once a month at the track I quite often find that elusive 7th gear :)
The feel of my track bike is so different to my daily ride a
Ducati Monster S2R1000 which I can feel what gear I am in 99% of the time
but the nature of the in line 4 600 I get lost very easily .
Thanks for the suggestions :beerchug

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
As I only ride the bike once a month at the track I quite often find that elusive 7th gear :)
The feel of my track bike is so different to my daily ride a
Ducati Monster S2R1000 which I can feel what gear I am in 99% of the time
but the nature of the in line 4 600 I get lost very easily .
Thanks for the suggestions :beerchug
As you start to ride more and more, you won't even use it's but it's still a good insurance policy imo... It helped me my last outing at ACS to hit the corner in the right gear in one particular corner I was having trouble with.

And this coming from a guy who JUST installed his set 2 months ago, or so...:cheers:

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
For a track only bike, a flashed ECU can turn the speedo into a gear indicator.

·
Premium Member
30,463 Posts
i think there are cleaner/better made options out there. the gipro is the industry leader for a reason. that's what i have. wasn't plug n play, but took all of ~10 minutes to install - including removing the tank.

·
Will work 4 trackdays!!!
741 Posts
i think there are cleaner/better made options out there. the gipro is the industry leader for a reason. that's what i have. wasn't plug n play, but took all of ~10 minutes to install - including removing the tank.
+1
Really like my GIPro indicator. easy install and program

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
88 Posts
Having installed a GIpro in a CBR and an R6, I wouldn't call PZero's "plug and play". On the Honda all you have to do is disconnect two connectors under the sear to the ECU and connect the Y cable to the indicator. On the R6 you have to lift the tank and work your way to the crank position and tachometer sensors. I one you add the Y and you have to tap the other. That's regardless of the indicator that you want to use.

I've been using my GIpro for three seasons and I'm very satisfied. Even though I have to come up with a different wiring than what the manufacturer recommended on their instructions. It somehow toasted the crank position sensor when I installed it following the instructions and Healtech said they've never had someone reporting the same issue.

Anyway, here's how it looks.

IMG_2874 by vic06, on Flickr

·
Registered
122 Posts
Having installed a GIpro in a CBR and an R6, I wouldn't call PZero's "plug and play". On the Honda all you have to do is disconnect two connectors under the sear to the ECU and connect the Y cable to the indicator. On the R6 you have to lift the tank and work your way to the crank position and tachometer sensors. I one you add the Y and you have to tap the other. That's regardless of the indicator that you want to use.
this...

i don't understand why this is referred to as "Plug and Play." if i'm tapping wires and cutting ANYTHING, it's not a plug and play. i think the reflashed ECU is the way to go.

for an R6, there is no true Plug and Play gear indicator as far as I know.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
this...

i don't understand why this is referred to as "Plug and Play." if i'm tapping wires and cutting ANYTHING, it's not a plug and play. i think the reflashed ECU is the way to go.

for an R6, there is no true Plug and Play gear indicator as far as I know.
Uhm, the PZRacing plug and play version is in fact plug and play.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Acumen. Only one complaint, it takes a couple of seconds to show the correct gear on the little screen. Overall, pretty nice and it comes with different color stickers so you can change up the look. But like others have said, if you ride on the same track enough, it's pretty "automatic" to get to the gear you want to be in. With that said...it's still an awesome mod to have.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts