Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I was fortunate enough to spend a whole week at Deals Gap. (if you don't know.. HWY 129, runs through the smoky mountains. 318 curves in 11 miles) It happened to me 3 times out there. Approaching a LH 2nd gear sweeper, late braking downshift from 3rd to 2nd letting that engine wine down and just as I start to slowly accelerate through the apex... Bam!!! Sounds like a fist size rock nails me on the side of my swing arm. Feels like it too. It kicked my entire back end out sliding it a few inches. I immediately stand the bike up and accelerate out next thing i know, i'm in 3rd. Did it again the next day winding down 2nd setting up for a turn as soon as my my knee puck hits the ground it does it again same exact thing. This time it did it on deceleration. WTF??? I came so close to losing it straight off the mountain 3 times cause of Yamaha's F*@%!& up gear box. Anyone know if there are recalls on there gear box or know how to fix it or what the problem could be? All the other forums i've read are problems with 2nd to neutral, 1st to 2nd or false neutrals through out all the gears. Would any of those solutions relate to a 2nd to 3rd jump? Suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. It would suck to go out cause of a yamaha defect. ( 02 R6 11k mi.)

·
Registered
705 Posts
Could be your shifter spring...that's what it was for me...lots of false neutrals and coming out of gear, 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, and down...just jumping out all the time. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have just started to notice the same thing on my bike. I replaced the clutch and haven't felt it again. What kind of mileage to you have on the clutch disc's.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have about 500 mi. on my new Barnett kevlar clutch plates w/ new springs. 11000 on the odo. And it only happens when I'm racing. The engine is at normal running temp and been on it hard for a good hour +. pops outa 2nd into 3rd in the middle of a turn just as I'm powering out of it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
1st to 2nd is the biggest problem alot of times with the r6, but it could happen just as easily in other gears.

It does kinda seem like you might have some rounded drive dogs. It's strange though.....almost like they are rounded just enough to let it slide and shift under heavy acceleration.

If it doesnt do it unless you leaned way over......it could just be that they aren't horribly bad yet.......but when you lean it over and less weight and force is being put through the drive train from tire pressure.....it is allowing it to shift.

But you might as well get in there and at least check you shift retention spring, doenst sound like it's to blame, but worth a shot. If it could be your problem...it's gonna cost like $2 to fix it.

Good luck, let us know what ya find out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts