Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've been told numerous times that the stock gearing on r6s is F16/48R. Well my bike has 20k+ miles and i think it's time to replace the whole drive set. Well i've just order A set Which Includes RK 520 conversion 0-Ring Chain, 15 tooth Vortex Front Sprocket, And 48 tooth Vortex rear sprocket (Just went on down on in the front). I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how much of a difference i would actually be able to feel with that drop, And how bad it might hurt my Gas Mileage. any responses greatly appreciated

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I bought a -1/+2 kit for mine, still haven't gotten to try it out yet
but i've heard the difference is night and day.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the fastest i've had it so far is 158, and i was also wondering if it would ever run that speed again after the conversion... one main concern would have to be the gas mileage though, been gettin 64mpg with passengers 66 on my lonesome...don't wanna lose that with todays gas prices. But i'm looking forward to the low end power gain, im not to fond of stock r6 take offs, sometimes you pretty much have to slip the clutch a tiny bit to get goin with traffic at stoplights, just wondering if im gettin in too deep by throwing down the front instead of goin up 1 or 2 on the back. Never Re-Geared before.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im in the same boat I would like to know how much top end Im going to lose with a -1+1 conversion. And how its going to effect my gas mileage, Also is speedo healer needed. Sorry to kinda steal its just one extra question

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Why are you too terribly worried about your gas mileage anyway? You'll still get better mileage than 95% of all cars out there:toocool:

·
Ur mom doesnt fit on back
247 Posts
remember that without a healer its gonna be difficult to calculate mileage after its done

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
I believe on the 06 and up if you do the -1+2 conversion you lose around 7mph top end.

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
I did a -1 at first, and loved it. Then, when I did a 520 chain, I swapped it out for a little more and went -1/+2. I do have a speedo healer, and with the -1/+2 my shift light comes on at 150mph in 6th. I think I could probably squeeze about 155 before I hit the limiter. But I will say, it gets to 150 alot faster than it used too.

Probably with a speedo healer, and only a -1 front, you could probably hit 160-165 range before redline in 6th as long as you have the power to do so.

·
max speed
242 Posts
Ok, I've been told numerous times that the stock gearing on r6s is F16/48R. Well my bike has 20k+ miles and i think it's time to replace the whole drive set. Well i've just order A set Which Includes RK 520 conversion 0-Ring Chain, 15 tooth Vortex Front Sprocket, And 48 tooth Vortex rear sprocket (Just went on down on in the front). I was just wondering if anyone would be able to tell me how much of a difference i would actually be able to feel with that drop, And how bad it might hurt my Gas Mileage. any responses greatly appreciated
I rode -1 in the front for 2 seasons and I didn't notice much of a change in gas mileage. You will be able to feel the revs climb a bit quicker going through the gears if you are perceptive but the most noticeable thing for me was being able to pull 2nd gear power wheelies much easier. I think you will be happy with your decision because I know I was. Here is a sprocket chart that may help give you an idea of the change but I have noticed that it is not very accurate based on my personal experience at the drag strip and watching my speedo with a properly calibrated speed healer.

http://www.yzfr6.net/sprocket_speed.php

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
isn't it easier to just shift later than installing different sprockets? does anyone know if doing this would give a pro drag racer a faster 1/4 mile time?

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
Shifting later wont give you the same effect at all. Either way you shift at redline.

The only way I could even explain how it feels, would be go out and do a 50mph 3rd gear punch, now redo that 50 punch but in 2nd. Just doing a -1 front isnt going to be that big of a difference, but its kinda like that.

·
Now you see me...
1,275 Posts
that doesnt sound to bad, what about gear range, do you have to shift excessively? (even more than usual lol)

·
I do it for the Chicks.
296 Posts
that doesnt sound to bad, what about gear range, do you have to shift excessively? (even more than usual lol)
No. Nothing noticeable. If you do the math, yes, buy the time I hit 100mph, I might shift 1 time more lol.

I would say, the most obvious difference is A) More acceleration, and B) Slightly higher RPMs at cruising speed. I was at 5700rpms at 60 with a -1 only, now im at 6k rpms at 60. Stock was probably around 5400-5500 at 60.

Remember though, even stock your speedo could be 7% or more off. So even if you do a speedo healer on a stock bike, all the sudden your going alot slower at the same RPM. For me, indicated 64mph was GPS at 60mph BONE STOCK.

·
Registered
204 Posts
instead of -1/+2 i think im going +5 in the rear which is basically the same thing. should have done on saturday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts