Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, whats a good gearing combo to run on an 08 thats track only? ive got two bikes and this one will get used on the tighter tracks, i was thinking -1 +3 just to keep the bike in the higher revs, this is my first 600 track bike so im learning as i go

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Stock

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Agreed. STOCK is an ideal spot to start.
-1 at SOME tracks but -1/+3 will have you blowing shit up. Myself, Mark Miller Jr. and a couple guys were running 16/44 at VIR this past weekend. Little slower pace, you would go up a tooth or two (16/45 16/46) as the bike may not be as strong, and you won't be carying the corner speed the front experts do.
but -1/+3 will not work on this machine for track duty. will you need other gearing for other tracks, and as your pace improves? sure. Have the 15t front on hand.

Anyone that bought a NEW 3rd gen bike, would have received a cool little book that discussed the origin and process the 3rd gen bike underwent in development. There was one page that discussed the choice for final drive ratio as they knew the bike was a track bike as much or MORESO than a street bike. The engineers had long talks debating 16/46 and 16/45..

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's some good info thanks. I'll check what's in there now and maybe drop a tooth upfront. I heard people say that the older r6 needed aggressive gearing to make up for a lack of mid range power. I guess this doesn't have that problem. I generally run top five in expert group at my local track so I'd like to think I do alright. I'll run what's in there for now and if I find her struggling through some of the slower corners I'll gear it then. I know that track has one corner that even bogs my thou down when I come out its just a slow decreasing corner

·
Registered
74 Posts
It really depends on the track. I went -1 +2 and it's helped a lot with driving out of the corners. But it's ideal for only one of the tracks, but not for all of them. Another track I went to I was pegged out down the straight bouncing off the limiter heading into turn 1. Each track has a different ideal set up, but -1 should at least help with a better drive off the corners and unless you have a really long race track, it should help I think. But sometimes the shorter gearing can become a handful, especially for those few corners where you shift up a gear then hard braking and down a gear again real fast. Also, with stock gearing I find myself having to make an extra downshift to stay in the right part of the powerband, and requires more care when bangin down gears. However, it will help keep the liter bikes away until you get half way down the straight.

edit:I'm on a 2006, so take my .02 for what its worth

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stop following me kellen you perv. I talked to Bevan and he said on Sarahs bike he runs down one and sometimes up one in the rear and that's for gb. I guess our gens just have a much healthier mid range than the older ones did.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-2 on timmys bike? that man must be changing gears every second and a half, lol. ill try down one tooth and see how she work. ill have her at tmp for one of the first track days of the year, see how she works in the infield there, i think turn 6 is slower than just about any turn at gb.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The mid-range power is what you want to take advantage of on the 08+. So necessarily gearing down a lot is not the best option just to "keep the revs high". On stock gearing you shouldn't even have a problem with that at any track. With that said, I do have a -1/+4 that I use at Autobahn Country Club and Blackhawk Farms since they are shorter tracks. I don't really pull on the stock geared bikes on the straights but coming out of sharp corners with a 190 rear gives me a nice advantage.

You should start with stock and if/once your pace is up to where it makes a difference, then start experimenting. It's all about the right shift moments; I don't have mine geared for acceleration as much as where I want the power to be in certain corners where it would be a better advantage.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'd like to think I'm at the pace where it makes a difference now at track days. I don't mind am extra gear change, the quick shifter makes it simple and down gearing isn't an issue. I've gotta see what's on the bike now. I'll probably go down one and leave the rear alone for now and see how I like it at the first track day. Our local track had a slower infield section with a couple of nice straights and one higher speed corner. Grand bend where I'll be racing with kellen next year in my opinion would benefit from a similar setup. But I've only run one configuration of that track so who knows. Another track I'm gonna do again is the mosport rdt track. My superbike along with my buddies 750 both stayed in one gear through almost all of it and the r6 would shine there for sure

1 - 12 of 12 Posts