Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 08 r6 and am looking into different gearing. I'm thinking of going down 1 in front and up 2 in back, some of the sprockets say I need the 520 conversion and 530 conversion. What does that mean? Something with the chain? Tia

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Just make things simple on yourself. Go 520 pitch a -1/+2.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
520 is the size of the chain. To change both sprockets and to really get the weight savings you're looking for people do a strong 520 chain and aluminum rear sprocket. It saves weight but is also stronger than the 525 oem chains.

IMO -1/+2 is the very farthest I would go with gearing. 85 MPH is about 8500 rpms to 8700 rpms on the highway.

Lemme know if you need a setup. I sell vortex chain kits. You can also save a ton of money and get some more performance by doing a -1 front sprocket for your oem chain. That's cheap and easy and you will get better acceleration and easier starts in traffic etc. But to really get everything out of the bike spring for the whole kit

:YEA

·
Hello
527 Posts
in other words 520 sprockets are thinner therefore weigh less than 530 sprockets. Think reciprocating mass. adding only a small amount of weight at a spinning object is multiplied several times at higher speeds. Same reason people want light weight aluminum or magnesium wheels. Reciprocating mass. Also you can NOT mix the 2. a 520 chain must use 520 sprockets. Same for 530. Everything must match. Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts