Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I got my first "Sportbike"in a million years a few days back..

She was my last racebike so at least I don't have bad taste but then again she was a V4

I'm in Minneapolis, the current ambient temperature is in the 20's and sadly I don't have a garage but at least the bike is inside my Van so the wind is kind of tamed but still pretty cold..

I have use a Odyssey 680 (from one of my bmw GS's fully charged and brand new backup) but still barely turns over, first guess the oil on the crankcase is to cold to let the engine spin normally, but maybe is something else that is not working

any hints..??

Do I warm up the crankcase from the bottom with my camping Stove like with do with the GS when you are riding in russia or alaska...!?

I need to get a new stock battery, i'm just waiting for the next paycheck..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Please give me some hints..

I clean the carbs (I have done hundred of them working on shops and on and my own, they were pretty decent already, almost no ethanol residue (the old owner run 91 or better no ethanol gas) the bike was running when park a few month back)

I try a Odyssey 680 battery on their own with jumper cables (Tomorrow I'm going to connect directly I just occurred to me that a cell can be broken on the stock battery) and then another one from my bmw LT when running...

Nothing, the neutral light shows green, kick stand UP, you just hear the "Cricket sound" of the relay with a drain battery..

She is a keeper so I don't mind spending on a battery but I just don't trust the cheappy acid one, I'm pretty sure the odyssey from the ktm 640 adventure is the same size, i just need to find one for not retail price...

Must be something stupid that i'm missing, but I have no clue what it is

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fix It...

I had to many "lead extenders" to i can connect the odyssey 680 located on the "Tool box" under the passenger seat (much bigger battery) but now she starts right up, zero hesitations...

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
54 Posts
I don't really want to anger the moderators by keeping it going on about a Honda on a Yamaha forum... but I understand a sportbike is a sportbike.

Correct me if I don't understand you properly...
So when you start the bike, you hear the relay clicking, but the starter doesn't work? Or does the starter run but the engine doesn't start? Or just the battery losing voltage? I don't know the circuitry of your Honda, but I'm assuming they're all similar. Did you charge the battery to 13+ V first? And then it drained while sitting idle? Or does the engine start but runs sluggish?

Check relay fuse, along with other fuses. Check to see if your starter is good. Your manual should describe how to troubleshoot a starter using a multimeter/voltmeter. Also check grounding terminal, charging circuit, continuity of the cable harness, etc. Sounds mostly like an electrical issue rather than mechanical. I had a carbureted bike in the UP, colder than MN, it started fine even in the middle of winter. If your oil viscosity is any 0W-XX or 5W-XX (or even 10W-XX), it should start fine at 20 F.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't really want to anger the moderators by keeping it going on about a Honda on a Yamaha forum... but I understand a sportbike is a sportbike.
Oh man I'm so very Sorry, my intent was to explain that my last sport bike was my RC30 in the 90's

but the bike I was having problem with was a recently acquired R6...

totally "Me bad" I'm very prone to write like others know what i';m taking about (side effect of Extreme dyslexia)

Correct me if I don't understand you properly...
So when you start the bike, you hear the relay clicking, but the starter doesn't work? Or does the starter run but the engine doesn't start? Or just the battery losing voltage? I don't know the circuitry of your Honda, but I'm assuming they're all similar. Did you charge the battery to 13+ V first? And then it drained while sitting idle? Or does the engine start but runs sluggish?

Check relay fuse, along with other fuses. Check to see if your starter is good. Your manual should describe how to troubleshoot a starter using a multimeter/voltmeter. Also check grounding terminal, charging circuit, continuity of the cable harness, etc. Sounds mostly like an electrical issue rather than mechanical. I had a carbureted bike in the UP, colder than MN, it started fine even in the middle of winter. If your oil viscosity is any 0W-XX or 5W-XX (or even 10W-XX), it should start fine at 20 F.
Call this problem

"Over thinking"

the battery on the bike was Defective, broken cell or contact, the second I took her out of the loop the bike start right away..

I'm totally new to the cold, (well not really , more to live on a cool city)

on trips to the yukon, I put my stove under the engine of my GS's to warm up the oil and hopefully also the engine block and internals > Aluminum = Amazing heat sink

for good half a hour since you only have so many chances of starting a bike when and block has change internal dimensions do to temperature (then I was referring to a boxer engine with 1100cc of displacement)

thanks for the help and even more correcting my misleading picture mistake

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
The bikes simply aren't designed for frigid weather. (tiny batteries)

Yes, you can replace with a battery that has more cold cranking amps or even augment the existing one, but either way you'll have to upgrade the wiring with a thicker gauge to support it.

From personal experiences I can tell you that a full synthetic does help. But ultimately it just comes down to the fact that these bikes aren't engineered for cold weather.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The bikes simply aren't designed for frigid weather. (tiny batteries)

Yes, you can replace with a battery that has more cold cranking amps or even augment the existing one, but either way you'll have to upgrade the wiring with a thicker gauge to support it.
You sound like my Kind of people, so glad I found this forum..

I have very little sport bike experiences but I have work on all kind of engines, even "Buss bombs" Rockets with SRL in San Francisco..
From personal experiences I can tell you that a full synthetic does help. But ultimately it just comes down to the fact that these bikes aren't engineered for cold weather.
Well don't ever tell this LunnyTunnes at the Elefantentreffen rally know...

I try to go one year with some friends leaving from Belgium but I have to say I Wuzzi out (and I live in Prudhoe Bay for more than a year...

I have all my heated gear plus I was sponsored (Beta tester for Gore and Scholeller) so I was warm for the most part, but keep up a 120 kph (going slow because the snow "You know") was just much to scary for me, the tires may as well have no air on them since they solid, the brakes, man what a freaking joke, ABS forget it, it will take you a mile to stop, my friends just ride their bikes with such finesse is more like flying a plane (not brakes, no silly turns)

But Yes I totally agree the metal contraction along will do plenty of harm

keep the link anyway they are a ton of really interesting bikes, the most clever a Three wheel drive Sidecar from a french genius, using a basic car drive train with berfields and the whole thing..

some pictures Jean claude vogel KLX Not a KLR< not even close..

FYI: PLease feel free to explore the photo galleries, I have about 65.000 pictures of all kind of topics, but mostly "RTW" (round the World" type machines.. (No apps, no cookies, nothing, just like a old school library..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
20 years and still going
So many brilliant brains, not just John Britten the quintessential super hero but how about the Crazy fork Salpicon or one of my old time favorites from my kiddo years Honda ELF aquitaine R&D program (French petroleum company sponsorship) or probably the Biggest, Grumpies MOFO of all time the Tularis 800CC Snowmobile 2 stroke wonder weapon,

I'm kind of proud of all the data collection, even people that Know a million times more than I do about bikes, use my folders as reference (and some of them add send me "Huss" pictures)

And as usually i you see or have something that need refacified please tell me so I'm improved..

Oh if you saw this this you check this Hand held Dimple exhaust head work man i consider my self pretty good at drawing but i don't think i be able to do it just as accurate (Remember where you place the carbide bit at the start is not where the dimple is going to end..

Talking about Drawing [email protected]$# Solid works and Autocad, how about this Cutaway made the old fashion way, with tons of hard work and massive skills...

Oh and for this, Cover you keyboard, laptop carpet whatever because you are about to_____ on your pants of Happiness..

Welding masters

i'm so very glad that you enjoy the endless hours of collecting..

You know what i want, high quality photos and history of old 24 Hours Suzuka racers, for some reasons those "Bolt on headlights, drive me nuts, plus the whole insanity of running for some long with not exactly reliable machines closer to my field of "Efficient problem solving" Even if you need to go "Full hackamoto"...

Just endless stuff to learn..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts