Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Thrash a 2002 R6 :)
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I left my bike for about 4 months over winter without it going anywhere (BIG mistake!), and I went to it to start it to get it through its MOT, it begrudgingly did eventually, but when turn it over you have to hold the throttle open, it would fire, but only rev at 1000rpm max, and even if you held it open full this was all it would rev to, and as soon as you let go of the throttle it cuts out...it was running on like 1/2 cylinders, and then would quite often pick up eventually and would go.
But I'm not riding my bike like this, its ridiculous and needed sorting! I'd got a Pipercross Hi Flo Air Filter in it, and a Pipewerx Can, and hadn't adjusted the fuelling or anything. The fuel in the tank hasn't been in there all winter, just to clarifiy that one :)
So these are some of the things I changed/did to start with:
*new standard air filter
*standard exhaust
*new fuel filter
*new spark plugs
*removed carbs and cleaned them all out, made sure the jets weren't blocked
*readjusted the TPS on the side of the carbs

I put it all back together, and it would start up and idle better than it ever had done. I was excited it seemed to be sorted, but then I let the bike get hot, and at 90 degrees (Celsius) it cut out, and wouldn't start up again from hot. I left it for a day, then tried again, let it get to 60 degrees, cut the engine, tried to start it and it wouldn't fire.

So I decided to do the valve clearances, the bike has done about 32,000 miles and to my knowledge they haven't ever been done...so I checked them, and 4 of the exhaust valves were on the tight side, so I got some new shims, rechecked all the clearances and they were all fine. Put it back together again, the bike fired up fine, and then cut out once it got hot again....tried to start it from hot to no avail. I left it again for a couple of days, but the next time I tried to start it, it was doing exactly what it was originally, firing up when the throttle was held on, but not revving over 1000rpm, and soon as I let go of the throttle it cuts out.

So now I'm at my wits end with it, really not sure what to do now! I've ordered a pick up sensor for it, as sometimes they are faulty, and it might make sense with it only firing randomly on the cylinders.....but if this doesn't work, I really don't know what else to do!

Anyone have any ideas? Will be much appreciated if anyone has had similar issues!
Cheers,
Em :)

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,620 Posts
Hi there,

I left my bike for about 4 months over winter without it going anywhere (BIG mistake!), and I went to it to start it to get it through its MOT, it begrudgingly did eventually, but when turn it over you have to hold the throttle open, it would fire, but only rev at 1000rpm max, and even if you held it open full this was all it would rev to, and as soon as you let go of the throttle it cuts out...it was running on like 1/2 cylinders, and then would quite often pick up eventually and would go.
But I'm not riding my bike like this, its ridiculous and needed sorting! I'd got a Pipercross Hi Flo Air Filter in it, and a Pipewerx Can, and hadn't adjusted the fuelling or anything. The fuel in the tank hasn't been in there all winter, just to clarifiy that one :)
So these are some of the things I changed/did to start with:
*new standard air filter
*standard exhaust
*new fuel filter
*new spark plugs
*removed carbs and cleaned them all out, made sure the jets weren't blocked
*readjusted the TPS on the side of the carbs

I put it all back together, and it would start up and idle better than it ever had done. I was excited it seemed to be sorted, but then I let the bike get hot, and at 90 degrees (Celsius) it cut out, and wouldn't start up again from hot. I left it for a day, then tried again, let it get to 60 degrees, cut the engine, tried to start it and it wouldn't fire.

So I decided to do the valve clearances, the bike has done about 32,000 miles and to my knowledge they haven't ever been done...so I checked them, and 4 of the exhaust valves were on the tight side, so I got some new shims, rechecked all the clearances and they were all fine. Put it back together again, the bike fired up fine, and then cut out once it got hot again....tried to start it from hot to no avail. I left it again for a couple of days, but the next time I tried to start it, it was doing exactly what it was originally, firing up when the throttle was held on, but not revving over 1000rpm, and soon as I let go of the throttle it cuts out.

So now I'm at my wits end with it, really not sure what to do now! I've ordered a pick up sensor for it, as sometimes they are faulty, and it might make sense with it only firing randomly on the cylinders.....but if this doesn't work, I really don't know what else to do!

Anyone have any ideas? Will be much appreciated if anyone has had similar issues!
Cheers,
Em :)
Have you changed the fuel filter and gas? When you had the carbs out did you clean the pilot jets? They get clogged easy under normal use, if it sat for 4 months, this could be the problem.

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you changed the fuel filter and gas? When you had the carbs out did you clean the pilot jets? They get clogged easy under normal use, if it sat for 4 months, this could be the problem.

Yeah, I put a new fuel filter in it, and the petrol has only been in there for a couple of months. Yup, I stripped and cleaned the whole lot out, I was hoping for them to be clogged!

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NEW UPDATE.

Well, I fitted the new pick up sensor and i bought a new battery for it...now its running on all cylinders when it fires up, but when it gets hot (like 75 degrees) it just cuts out and won't start again until its cooled down.

Anyone know what to try next??

·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it might sound stupid but did u change ur oil and maybe change ur coolant? Water most likely got into your lines...
I hadn't changed my oil, but i'm about to do it today as i havent changed the filter for a year....and the coolant, well i had to take my rad off to do the valve clearance so i filled it back up with water. I have a thought though, i had the cover off to do the shims for a few weeks waiting for parts and i went away, our garage roof sometimes leaks where my bike's been left, so i suppose some water could have got in then......
Would that cause it to not run when it gets hot? i suppose its when the water starts to boil...
Well I'm going to drop the oil and see now, got a new filter for it aswell.
Thanks for your help :)
Em

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
Flush the coolant system. Sounds like an air bubble. Possibly a bad thermostat? If you put water in, make sure it's distilled water.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
i would consider what r6blonde said above, water in the lines/tank, especially if the bike was stored that long in cold temps with less than FULL tank. Condensation forms on the walls inside the tank as temp changes throughout the day, and you can end up with significant amount of water in the gas.. more if the tank is less full than full..

be sure your not getting over a 50water/50anti-freeze ratio too..

·
she already got me broke
168 Posts
if you already cleaned the carbs, did you get them shynced after that?. i use CarbTune from UK btw, i think that might be the problem. i`ve been there before i ve got a`99 here.

·
My R6 eats Chuck Norris
2,407 Posts
Quitting when hot sounds like an electronics problem to me.. regulator maybe.. or... this is one I just had with my car... poor connection in a wiring harness held together with factory electrical tape, but once hot, the tape gets gooey and causes a short..

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Motorcycle.com App

·
I eat my R6.
54 Posts
letting your bike sit for months on end without starting it periodically can cause your piston rings to freeze to the pistons causing loss of compression. if i were you i would check your compression. i have a 99 R6 also and had my rings freeze up on my bike before and it sux. you should have minimum of 180 psi-260psi max. if your compression is worse than 180 than you can take your spark plugs out and put about three tablespoons of oil in each cylinder and let sit for 24 hours then crank motor over without spark plugs in to blow out the oil that didnt seep past the rings and then check your compression again. hope this helps ya.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts