Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This build I plan to have pan out over the next ~10 months to 1 year to get it ready for the 2015 Track Season. With the lack of funds and time, there is just no way this bike will see the track this year.

So here's the backstory. First off, my current "garage" consists of a 2007 Yamaha R6 which is setup for strictly street riding, and a 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 (which was originally going to be a track bike, but my dad started using it as his commuter, so I figured I shouldn't wreck it )

I was content with the fact that I probably wouldn't see the track for another 5 years or whatever, as I plan to go back to College to re-pursue my goals, but then my friend crashed her Ninja ZX6R, and while she faired pretty well, the bike did not. This kinda just opened doors for me, and my desire to take on projects was just a bit too overwhelming to not jump..

The Bike
2012 Kawasaki ZX6R - 3400miles

5/11/2014
She crashed her bike. Went around a turn too fast for her ability, slid off the bike and it went sailing into the guardrail. The underside of the bike took the most damage, completely destroying the header.

5/31/2014
Her and a friend drove out to PA to pick up another identical ZX6R for her, this one with only ~350 miles on it. I decided I was interested in her crashed ZX6R and stopped by to inspect what would be needed to fix it up.

Because I am unsure if the forks are good, and unsure of any other surprises, we agreed on $800.00, and as long as I don't run into any surprises, I'll give her another $500.00 totaling the bike to $1,300 once it's running.

This was the major damage that concerns me:

Some people have been telling me that corner of the lower crankcase may be able to be welded - I am hoping a professional opinion will agree, as the lower & upper are line bored which means I'll need a set (Not something I originally knew), and brand new crankcases are $1300, and finding a used set seems to be impossible.

6/1/2014
Picked up the bike. The front wheel can't rotate fully due to the damage, it hits the caliper, so it was fun dragging it onto the truck, off of the truck, and into the garage.

already began disassembling it before I even got it loaded up..

and got it home..

6/3/2014
Ordered the following parts:

• Replacement oil pan
  • Replacement radiator coolant overflow tank (The one on the bike cracked)
  • New front wheel
  • Full stock exhaust manifold

Began cleaning out my garage (As you can see in the previous picture, it was a disaster that barely fit 2 bikes). Basically setting up a corner section that will be my "workstation" where the bike will sit on the Abba stand as it gets torn down and rebuilt.

6/27/2014
Got some candy in the mail!

7/17/2014
Awesome update today! Picked up the wheels from Mike @ Capital Region Customs. They came out Amazing. Honestly, these pictures do absolutely no justice. When I saw them, I near fell backwards. Crazy amounts of flake in the sun, beautiful color.

7/19/2014
Tires mounted! Holy Flake Batman!!

8/8/2014
First round of fairings/tank have been painted!

8/9/2014
Time to get the important part done ... My buddy welded the crankcase, and did a beautiful job. All new weld, came out as close to perfect as you can get.

Sealed

Finished

Painted

8/10/2014
Starting to put her all back together

8/13/2014
Beginning to put the fairings back on

8/14/2014
HUGE DAY!!! Bike is Running, and Sounds Great!
VIDEO:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=830226196996301&l=7959355645612553611

8/16/2014
Mounted the headlight. Took her for the first ride since the crash!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
I'll come over stand around drink beer and say "yep." as you work on the bike.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
you know you need a stahlbus valve for the new one. :) lemme know.

my smog plates fit that bike too, fyi... and of course the valve stems and brake reservoir. :sing

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Sounds like a good time! :toocool:

I'll hit you up whenever I have a day to do some serious tear-down on the bike.
lol sounds good, do you want me to help or take artistic photos of you for my tumblr page :laugh

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you know you need a stahlbus valve for the new one. :) lemme know.

my smog plates fit that bike too, fyi... and of course the valve stems and brake reservoir. :sing
I'll be hitting you up. ;)

lol sounds good, do you want me to help or take artistic photos of you for my tumblr page :laugh
Help! Looks like we're gonna be dropping the motor.

Sent a local shop these pictures. They said it looks like it can be welded, but I gotta take the lower crankcase apart (Which is what I figured).

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Shit, Do track allow welded engines?

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
Too bad you're in NY. In my neck of the woods, I can call a mobile russian kid... And he would weld that up real quick.. without dropping the motor or taking it apart (except the oil pan)

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shit, Do track allow welded engines?
There's a guy on the ZX6R forum who nearly welded the entire engine .. it was in pieces .. and he tracks it.

No reason to deny a weld.

Alex... Ive been thinking I'll hit up a few welding places to see if they can do it all left on (except oil pan)

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
good to know

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too bad you're in NY. In my neck of the woods, I can call a mobile russian kid... And he would weld that up real quick.. without dropping the motor or taking it apart (except the oil pan)

My neighbors son came by their house today and I called him over to check it out - he builds bobbers and welding is his career - so I showed him the crankcase and asked him if he could do it for me still on the bike.

He said as long as I take the oil pan off and get the bike to his house (Which means I'll need to get my wheels finished, and wrapped in rubber first), he'll be able to weld it still on the bike for $150.

Score! :toocool:

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
sweet

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bodywork Sale, Buy One Get One Free?!?!
Hotbodies Racing Race Bodywork Kawasaki ZX6R 09-12 from SportbikeTrackGear.com

Yup ... I placed my order!

For the wheels, they're going to powder within the next week or two. Gonna be kinda like the color to the left here, except, a hue darker and more POP with flake.

http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/PPS-4765/shocker-yellow/

·
Motorcycle Race VIP Guy
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Awesome update today! Picked up the wheels from Mike @ Capital Region Customs. They came out Amazing. Honestly, these pictures do absolutely no justice. When I saw them, I near fell backwards. Crazy amounts of flake in the sun, beautiful color.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts