Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to get a title for a motorcycle in Illinois, i bought a bike off of a guy for dirt cheap because he said he didn't have the title for it bad move i know but he gave me some story he bought it off of his buddy who lost the title well he told me that his buddy was getting the title well couple weeks later he is telling me that this so called buddy is in jail with no way to get the title well i found a title application paper on the bike and it has a name number and address of a guy but the number of the guy i bought it off of so i asked him about that he said his buddy used his number because he didn't have a phone so at this point i think he is ****ing with me...anyone know what i can do? im going to the dmv Tuesday but im sure they will give me some story and not find some way around this

p.s the bike is not stolen i already ran the vin with the local pd

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
another question the guy said it has a clean title but on this paper it says salvage if it really is a salvage would i need the original title to apply for a rebuild in my name

·
Registered
256 Posts
Im going through the same thing im on the last step im just waiting to get my papers from sacramento by the end of this month i had to get a motor vehicle bond from a ins company and then when you get the papers from the ins company you have to get them notorised and then send it back to the ins company then theyll send you your bond papers and then (I KNOW ITS A LONG PROCESS LOL) you have to send it off to sacramento and it takes about 30-60 days to get your new REG.

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
...but on this paper it says salvage if it really is a salvage would i need the original title to apply for a rebuild in my name
What paper? All depends on what the title is. If the title is a salvaged title, then the bike should already be road worthy and not in need of inspection. Keep in mind, you will not be able to shake the salvage title. It's been done by a lot of people, but it's illegal so tread lightly

2,458 Posts
man.. what in the hell were you thinking.. lol

·
Registered
256 Posts
My bike wasnt a salvage the finance company that the bike was purchased went out of business and never send the title out so thats why i had to go through all that i had gone to the dmv a couple of times before and thats what they told me i had to do.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
It's been a few years since I've bought a titleless bike, but all I needed was a bill of sale and to make sure it wasn't stolen.

I got docs from the DMV and sent them certified to the title-holder's last listed address. If the docs were returned or not filled out in 30 days, they issued me the title. That's the way it *was* in Utah, but then I never had trouble registering gray-market bikes, either.

-D

·
R-E-S-P-E-C-K-T-T
2,872 Posts
possibly involve the cops if it is a stolen bike?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
its been really warm here i dont know if i can wait up to 6 weeks :/ looks like im just going to sell the bike for dirt cheap and get some pos this year

·
candy red
7,505 Posts
dont give it up fast now patience after all is a virtue.... i dont know about in your state but here in california you can put a lien on the bike. basicly if a car or in this case a bike is left on your property for more than 30 days and no one has came by to pick it up it can become yours. so just file a lien on the bike, say someone dumped it in your yard its not stolen and youd like to put a lien on it, ive never done it so there might be other things to go threw but that might help. yes no mabe so? oh and what year of bike and how much did u get for it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Maybe I can be of some assistance.

I live in Illinois (northwest suburbs) and had to deal with this about 2 years ago...so hopefully things havent changed very much since then. This is the "bike" I had issues obtaining a title for.

It's a 1989 Yamaha YSR50. Two stroke, oil-injected 50cc pocket rocket. Street legal. Its along the lines of the Honda NSR50. These things sell for around 2,500-3k when in good condition. Mine is in fair condition, but had no title. Bought it off of family for 500 bucks. It's been passed around from house to house, family to family for years. Everyone else thought it's a lost cause trying to obtain a title for it. I took the initiative to file for a "lost title" in illinois. I skipped the DMV, and went to the DuPage County Courk clerk's office where they deal with all the missing paperwork. They tried reaching the last registered owner, but probably moved addresses since the last one listed on the titlework. Because the previous made no effort in disputing my claims that the bike is now "mine" within 30 days or something of the sort, a new title was printed, and mailed to me.

Long story short, if the title is clean/salvage/not stolen, swing by the DMV and tell them what's up. If they cant do much, go to the big-time courthouse in your county. I'm almost positive you can get it there, no matter the situation.

Best of luck to you!

-Derek

·
494 Posts
OP ... What's the name of this Illinois company that went under?

State pd will clarify stolen
DMV should clarify lean

def don't give up lots of us r in in the same title crap boat.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts