Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. I have an 08 r6s and i was going to get the bike painted. I know to take all the other fairings off the bike but the problem that i have now is getting that tank off? what steps do i have to follow to get it off. I already know how to remove the cap off the tank but the hoses are going to be the problem.

Does anyone have a TUT or some guidence on how to remove the tank Please.

Thank you.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Step 1: Buy a Manual-- best 70 bucks you ever spend

But seriously,

Tank removal for the 06-08 Yamahas R6's are as follows

Step 1: Remove the seat by taking out the 2 allen head screws found underneath each corner of the seat

Step 2: Remove any steering dampner (GPR/pitbull type)you may have covering the steering head area and then remove the allen screw that is holding the front plastic cover to the tank down over the airbox...

Step 3: Remove both left and right black plastic side panels. The screws are found where the rear subframe meets the frame. Use caution after removing the screws and slide the side cover toward the handlebars releasing both tabs that hold it in place. These are easy to break.

Step 4: remove both left and right allen head side tank bolts found underneath said black plastic covers

Step 5: pivot the entire tank upward from the handlebar toward the seat to reveal the airbox and unplug the fuel pump lines and sensors. You will need rags for the small amount of fuel that can come from the fittings. Notice how the release buttons are configured on each fitting and remove with care. The tank can be removed with fuel and stored, but use caution upon removal.

Step 6: Remove the bolt being used for pivot and do not drop the tank on the frame and get gas everywhere.

Step 7: Drink a beer and make sure not to break the plastic hose fitting off the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump is when storing the tank or shipping for paint... You might want to remove it so the small fitting does not break. Those things are upward of 100 dollars

·
Registered
86 Posts
Step 1: Buy a Manual-- best 70 bucks you ever spend

But seriously,

Tank removal for the 06-08 Yamahas R6's are as follows

Step 1: Remove the seat by taking out the 2 allen head screws found underneath each corner of the seat

Step 2: Remove any steering dampner (GPR/pitbull type)you may have covering the steering head area and then remove the allen screw that is holding the front plastic cover to the tank down over the airbox...

Step 3: Remove both left and right black plastic side panels. The screws are found where the rear subframe meets the frame.

Step 4: remove both allen head bolts found underneath said black plastic covers Left and Right...

Step 5: pivot the entire tank upward from the handlebar toward the seat to reveal the airbox and unplug the fuel pump lines and sensors. You will need rags for the small amount of fuel that can come from the fittings. Notice how the release buttons are configured on each fitting and remove with care. The tank can be removed with fuel and stored, but use caution upon removal.

Step 6: Remove the bolt being used for pivot and do not drop the tank on the frame and get gas everywhere.

Step 7: Drink a beer and make sure not to break the plastic hose fitting off the bottom of the tank where the fuel pump is when storing the tank or shipping for paint... You might want to remove it so the small fitting does not break. Those things are upward of 100 dollars
he said r6S but really. its pretty much the same, aside from the plastic cover. right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the Manuel and fairly close to the regular r6 model but there aren't any bolts under the grey tabs on the side of the tank. *don't try to take them off. it wont make a difference*

I've gotten all the crowlings off the bike and even the main headlight section.

I still haven't been able to get the tank off, i know that i have to drain it. so i have to find some type of pump to get the rest of the gas out.

anyone have a step by step on how to do this easily by any chance?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ya'll.. I got my Tank off. * I was thinking that all the gas would come out all over the place* sorry i was paranoid.... Forgive me lol

Its off and im took it ot the paint shop yesterday to get painted.. I will get picture once i get it back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts