Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Jennings rocks!
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have three trackdays under my belt, and my brother has one. We both have been thinking for a while now that we want to get into trackdays more often, and get a little more serious about it.

We both ride shiney new ZX6rs that we do not want to take to the track. Instead were throwing roughly (combined) $700/month for a designated trackbike. Were thinking of getting one for around $3-4k.

So far were compiling a list of what we need. We both have full leathers so were good on that. We need some helpful hints on what else we should get.

I know racebikes require a certain degree of maintenance, but thats not a problem. I work maintenance for a living.

Were just looking to get started, and want to get pointed in the right direction.

By the way, our next trackday will most likely be a track school.

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
do a ton more track days

get as much instruction as you can. you REALLY should do a school, or 3 or 4. if its you in the avatar you need a lot. (not trying to be mean, but your body position is quite off)

when you buy a track bike, buy spares as much as possible, you can never have too many. depending on what organization you are goint to race with you will need to safety wire your motorcycle among other things. you are goint to have to research the requirments for the area/groups.

plus most race organizaters also require you hae a Race license, and you will have to aquire that. around here (AFM, records show its the fastest amatuer races/racers in the country), it costs around 10K a year after purchasing the motorcycle to make every race in the season. i think its about 4 or 6 races. im sure its much less the less you want to race.

·
Jennings rocks!
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im a pretty humble guy. I know a need a lot of work. We both plan on doing a ton of trackdays before jumping into a race organization. Probably wont start racing until my brother has graduated college (2.5 years). Its just looking ahead at what we want to accomplish.

Im a pretty crafty maintainer. I know I can handle that portion of keeping the motorcycle mechanically in-line.

I know I have a very twisted position on the bike. Actually I think that pic is from my second trackday. Its something I can admit to, and something I seek to make better. My brother is still very green to game like myself.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
do a ton more track days

get as much instruction as you can. you REALLY should do a school, or 3 or 4. if its you in the avatar you need a lot. (not trying to be mean, but your body position is quite off)

when you buy a track bike, buy spares as much as possible, you can never have too many. depending on what organization you are goint to race with you will need to safety wire your motorcycle among other things. you are goint to have to research the requirments for the area/groups.

plus most race organizaters also require you hae a Race license, and you will have to aquire that. around here (AFM, records show its the fastest amatuer races/racers in the country), it costs around 10K a year after purchasing the motorcycle to make every race in the season. i think its about 4 or 6 races. im sure its much less the less you want to race.
Not to dog you, bro... but I've heard you constructively criticize several members' body position. I know you are trying to help, but your comments are based on the current way of thinking regarding body positioning. No offense, but it appears that you haven't been riding that long yourself (my apologies in advance if I'm wrong). If you look back a couple of decades, some of the Greats have had BP's that vary significantly from what you consider ideal BP.

Eddie Lawson

Freddie Spencer

Mick Doohan

Carl Fogarty

Troy Bayliss

I am sure that anyone who has followed any of these riders will not argue with the amount of skills these riders possess. Don't get me wrong... I tend to agree with the more modern approach. However, I'm sure you'll agree that BP is only part of the equation, and that different things work for different people. BP will facilitate, but it alone will not get you around the track any faster.

·
Jennings rocks!
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well not to jack my own thread, and some good information actually, but I was wondering what kind of equipment will I need.

Like maybe, would it be better in the long run to get an enclosed trailer as opposed to an open. Stuff like that. The kind of things racers can look back and wish they approached in a different direction.

But actually, some good information so far. Thanks for the replies

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
i love how people always argue the body position thing with 6 examples out of how many racers? You DO realize that dohaan, bayliss and those guys REALIZE how much input they put into the bars, etc. those are also completely different machines, its apples to oranges. i agree with that when something works for you should stick to it. but after 3 track days there is no possible way he knows that it works for him b/c he obviously hasn't tried other ways to do it. i was jsut trying to give a little insight.

here's a very informative video on body position that explains a lot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxODoscChNo

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
now to answer some of your questions thor.

it really depeends on how deep you want to get into it. an enclosed trailer is AWESOME and carries everything you are going to need to get into racing. but i also ride with some AMA riders who simply put their bike in the back of a pick up truck and slchep down to the track and ride their asses off.

i also see a lot of racers who have large vans, larger VW industrial vans, and they can throw everything in the back of that. it also helps with gas milage, and you dont have to do the Trailer Speed limit this way.

your #1 expense is going to be tires, just be ready for it.

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
ThorThunder, you should join us for the R1/R6 Forum track weekend at Jennings GP in North Florida. It's the last day of Feb and the first day of March '09. It's a benefit for a fallen rider from the R1 Forum. This will be the 2nd annual event. It will be a laid back weekend for everyone. No need to worry about morons on the track like a open weekend. This is a private event.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
I'm not arguing with you bro, and there are for more than 6 examples if you look at 250/500 GP and AMA Superbike, WSBK, BSB, IOM, etc of the 80's and 90's. I just pulled up a few examples of some of the Greats (though Bayliss technically can't be considered one since he's still racing). In fact, King Kenny, considered one of the pioneers of knee dragging, had a different style altogether.

You bring up an important point: that they all REALIZE bar input irrespective of their varying BP's. That is the important thing to realize. Different rider physiology will necessitate variation to BP. Not everyone has the physical conditioning you developed from gymnastics. I'm simply trying to point out that BP is only part of the equation, not the key to going fast.

·
Jennings rocks!
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ThorThunder, you should join us for the R1/R6 Forum track weekend at Jennings GP in North Florida. It's the last day of Feb and the first day of March '09. It's a benefit for a fallen rider from the R1 Forum. This will be the 2nd annual event. It will be a laid back weekend for everyone. No need to worry about morons on the track like a open weekend. This is a private event.
Wow, I might actually take you up on that. Me and my brother will have a bike hopefully no later than December. Ill have to see how things go, but that would be a great opportunity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.