Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I traded in my 250 yesterday and kind of getting use to the new riding position. I can tell I'm putting a lot of weight on the bars when I'm in traffic or stopped at a light/coming to a stop, really any maneuver below 15 mph. I never had any problem with this on my old 250 and its causing a little bit of pain in my wrists after riding for a while in traffic or lots of red lights, however, no problem when I'm cruising. Any advice on techniques to get off your hands at slow speeds would be greatly appreciated, also if there is no way to avoid this, is this problematic with the bikes handling?

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
Something I will never forget from Twist of the Wrist - chicken wings! :yes

Occasionally "flap" your elbows and it will take the weight off your wrist. Doing this for a while helped me always remember to keep the weight off the bars. :cheers

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome bout to try it out on my way to work! Can already tell I'm gonna like this forum. I see lots of pretty cool people with good advice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Tried grippiping with my legs and knees, definately helped a thousand times over. The "chicken wing" worked great too, really helped to just make sure there was no weight what so ever on my arms. I know pretty soon I will be doing that automatically, haha, never seen Twist Of The Wrist, you are referring to the DVD's correct? If so is it a good watch worth the investment? My riding position isn't horrible but not that great? I feel if I made my body position any more aggressive it would be unsafe and taking turns on the street too fast/hard. However, dont feel like my position is good enough for the track, yet to do my first track day.

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
Twist of the Wrist is a book too so if you prefer reading over watching, you can pick up the book online for cheap. I got mine off Amazon :fact

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The real cure is to rest your chest on the gas tank and ride the bike like it's made to be ridden. :fact
Hopefully, I can get to a track where I can do that safely next season, I'm hoping too atleast.. and thanks for all the input guys I'll definately check that book out.

·
Premium Member
35,478 Posts
Hopefully, I can get to a track where I can do that safely next season, I'm hoping too atleast.. and thanks for all the input guys I'll definately check that book out.
Yep, make sure you're in a safe environment to try all of these. You can try it on the street but just to an extent. Ride safe, bro :flex:

·
I wanna go fast
46 Posts
BEST advice is to grip with your knees on twisties putting more weight on the pegs and useing your core to support you, and when coming into the straights lowering your center of gravity by resting your chest on the tank tucking your knees and elbows (I tend to put my elbows on my knees, kinda lazy but not a bad position) its ok to push the front end down when it wants to come up but try to use your body rather than your arms when possible. Dont panic if the back end starts to slide a little, smooth controled movments and keeping your head level and looking through the turns. I was told not to outride my line of sight/reaction time when learning sport riding and if you stay within your skill set you should do well with a minimum of downed bikes and broken bones. BTW watch or read twist of the wrist its pretty much the bible of sport riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts