Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to get my suspension tuned this weekend on my r6s. I've been riding around with stock settings for a while. I'm planning on going to the track in November and wanted to experience a properly tuned suspension before I head out there. Just had a question about the cost and a term I wanted to understand. The shop gave me an estimate of $75 bucks to "set me up with a good base line depending on my weight and riding style." $75 sounds a little high, is it? and what exactly does he mean by good base line? :dunce: Thanks.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Going to get my suspension tuned this weekend on my r6s. I've been riding around with stock settings for a while. I'm planning on going to the track in November and wanted to experience a properly tuned suspension before I head out there. Just had a question about the cost and a term I wanted to understand. The shop gave me an estimate of $75 bucks to "set me up with a good base line depending on my weight and riding style." $75 sounds a little high, is it? and what exactly does he mean by good base line? :dunce: Thanks.
I paid $45 for mine. A good baseline means you'll need to fine tune it to your riding style. They can only set sag and baseline damping settings. You might want a softer or harder ride depending on where you do most of your riding.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
I'd call the track and see if you can get it done there. The pros work at the track, and they usually continue to work with you for that day, plus it's less than $75.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd call the track and see if you can get it done there. The pros work at the track, and they usually continue to work with you for that day, plus it's less than $75.
Good idea...I'll definitely have them tune my suspension at the track but I kinda wanted to do it at this local shop to see how different/better my bike feels...like I said, I'm going to have to wait until November for the track.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Aha, so $75 is a little high, almost double what I'm seeing other people are paying... I guess I'll check around other shops but I may just have to bite the bullet. Thanks.
Why not do the baseline stuff yourself? With some reading here, you can do the basics yourself, or at least get closer than it comes factory usually.

My thread last week on some of the stuff I learned. (Whole thread is pretty useful, I just linked to the my last post which sums it up.)

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
I wish there was a place around me that did it, and i could trust
It's not hard if you have a couple of friends. Just follow the instructions in the 101 thread. There are also some awesome videos online from Dave Moss that can help tremendously with damping. Even if you don't get it to the point that a professional tuner would, you'll likely make it better. And you'll have a better understanding of what the tuner is talking to you about when he does it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's not hard if you have a couple of friends. Just follow the instructions in the 101 thread. There are also some awesome videos online from Dave Moss that can help tremendously with damping. Even if you don't get it to the point that a professional tuner would, you'll likely make it better. And you'll have a better understanding of what the tuner is talking to you about when he does it.
You're right! I'm going give it a shot. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I tuned mine to the best I could before I went to a shop. As it turns out, I was within a click on the rear suspension setting. My dampening was pretty much right on and my front sag was perfect. It's really not that hard to set it yourself.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts