Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys and Gals,

Do you have a hard time riding because of your significant other doesn't want you riding?! :eek:

In my case she doesn't want me to do it at all and she wants me to sell everything and not ever have fun.(I grew up on 2 wheels) :yell
The struggle is real. :cuss

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Eh. He rides. He got me into it. Now that I have something more serious than a 250cc, he's starting to show concern. He can live with it.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
After 5 years, my ex told me it was her or the bike. I told her the bike was in my life before she was, and she knew it going in, so she needed to get over it or get the fuck out. She is now my ex.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol yea I think we all go through that at some point. What's her reasoning?
The list is endless.. :dunce:

Today it was because when I am riding I am not at home with her... I CANT BE HOME ALL THE TIME. (even though I cooked and made dinner for us when I got home).

Plus, I was just laid off the other week and she thinks me riding is blowing my money(even though its a lot less gas and its something I really enjoy doing). -I can find work in a heart beat but I want to take some time off and enjoy life.(I have enough savings to last me a good while).

I think we are just not compatible.. I love going on trips/camping, mountain biking, working out, etc. She does not.

Its an endless battle and I don't see a much longer road ahead for us (even though its been almost 7 years).

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eh. He rides. He got me into it. Now that I have something more serious than a 250cc, he's starting to show concern. He can live with it.
You are proof that not all females hate riding. :cheers

I guess it comes down to finding the right person.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The list is endless.. :dunce:

Today it was because when I am riding I am not at home with her... I CANT BE HOME ALL THE TIME.

Plus, I was just laid off the other week and she thinks me riding is blowing my money(even though its a lot less gas and its something I really enjoy doing). -I can find work in a heart beat but I want to take some time off and enjoy life.

I think we are just not compatible.. I love going on trips/camping, mountain biking, working out, etc. She does not.

Its an endless battle and I don't see a much longer road ahead for us (even though its been almost 7 years).
Sounds like you already made your decision. Relatiosnships are a give and take. You shouldn't change or drop things that you truly enjoy doing because in the end that's what life is about. At the same token if you're out all the time and literally never home then I can see both sides. 7 years is quite some time but if you've grown apart then so be it. People change and if there's more issues than just riding then cut your losses now. Life's too short.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Shit-can that bitch.
I told her I'm getting a uhaul about 2-3 weeks ago and moving out.. BUT she changed my mind and its not that easy.. She has a HUGE family that I really like and all the memories we had, but in my head its time to move on to better and greater things.

I just gatta "pull the trigger" I guess.

EDIT: YOLO.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
I've honestly never had that problem. :)

I guess it comes down to finding the right person.
:werd Sucks to find out it's not her after such a long time, but if that's what you now realize, it's time to move on. Of course relationships involve compromise, but to completely walk away from something that is a big part of your life is too much to ask for.

·
dont fake the funk
1,814 Posts
Guys and Gals,

Do you have a hard time riding because of your significant other doesn't want you riding?! :eek:

In my case she doesn't want me to do it at all and she wants me to sell everything and not ever have fun.(I grew up on 2 wheels) :yell
The struggle is real. :cuss
pics of gf? :popcorn:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think riding in my area is dangerous and people are getting into motorcycle accidents almost every week. I think its for this reason my girlfriend doesn't like the idea of me riding, but she is fine with it. She does tell me that when we have kids the motorcycles will have to go. I told her id take it under advisement :).

·
Registered
92 Posts
My wife doesn't mind me riding but prefer that I,m not gone all the time.I try to split up my time and do some things that I could do without with her.I did buy a Vulcan so we both ride that and that is good.I guess if she doesn't want to meet you halfway at least,it time to change the scenery.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You are proof that not all females hate riding.
We are super special snowflakes.

In the interest of long-term happiness, this is the bigger interest. Sounds like you are staying for all the wrong reasons. Opposites attract blah blah blah but you have to be able to enjoy doing things together.

Plus, ultimatums in relationships suck. (Although I did tell my SO that I'd take care of him if he turned himself into a vegetable on the bike, unless he wasn't wearing a helmet, then I'd divorce his brain-dead @$$, so I guess everyone draws lines at some point).

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The short answer, is run. Sorry, it just is. If she won't respect parts of your life that made you, you, then she won't stop at changing whatever she wants. Or trying and then resenting you for being resistant.

The not so clear answer is that there is more to a relationship than fighting over something that you may get out of at some point. Both my wife and I used to ride a ton. We have tens of thousands of dollars worth of bikes in the garage. Most of them rarely move anymore. The point is, your priorities can change. You both shouldnt be above compromise, but ultimately, no one knows how you feel or how you think the relationship is going to play out.

If you're young and not looking to settle down just yet, see the world through the eyes (and other parts...:naughty) of more women. You have the rest of your life to settle down. Don't miss the forest by obsessing over a single tree.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm married. I was riding before I met my wife and she knew that I wasn't going to be ok with her trying to get me to stop. She agreed and told me she never wants to stop something I'm passionate about. She rides with me sometimes; mostly her reasoning of why she doesn't more is the seat comfort level.

I've been thinking about selling my R6 since I got a 675R. I've brought up that idea to her, and I'm pretty sure she might kill me if I sell it. Since I did everything on it myself, she thinks I should keep it since it's the bike that really got me passionate about riding.

An ultimatum is never a good thing. It should be the biggest red flag in a relationship. Even if you concede, are you going to be happy? Since you mentioned other issues, as hard as it might be, it might be time to break it off.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts