Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I had/have been having issues with my 04 R6 in that the key does not always like to turn while inside the ignition. I got the bike in a divorce sale and it came with ace hardware keys and not the originals. I have been owning/operating the bike for two years and it was not until I got the bike back from overseas that it really started dorking with me. The movers lost my nuts n bolts to the battery so I picked up a box from the local auto zone. The bike started up easily enough and I took it for a ride (2 months it took for the Army to get it from Italy to NC), it worked fine for about a 20 minute ride when all of a sudden it lost power. I tried to bump start it while it was still moving but that did not work. For the next two hours I played a crap game of not getting the bike to turn over or managing to keep the bike powered on long enough to make it beyond half a mile until finally it showed mercy on me and I was able to limp the last three miles home. Fast forward two weeks later to tonight. I step out on my balcony to see an odd light behind my bike. It took me a second to realize it was not the neighborhood street light and I inspected to find it to be my license plate holder. The damned thing was turned on (motor not running) WITHOUT a key in the ignition. Now even stranger was that two days ago my bike was covered in a quarter inch of ice from a freak storm we had here in NC. Before I just take this bike to the local Walmart with the key in the ignition and call the insurance company after it "mysteriously," disappears does anyone have any idea what is going on with her and any idea how much this is gonna suck my favorite hard earned dollars out my wallet?

·
The ground always wins.
6 Posts
Hey bud,
Had almost the exact same problem when the Navy shipped my 2011 from WA to FL. Would be riding and the bike would lose power whenever it felt like it, wouldn't hold a charge, and for some reason my rear light would stay on ever so slightly. After getting really frustrated, and losing confidence in my ability to ride anywhere I bought a whole new battery. Was good for a few days and then back to the same problem. What solved it for me was finding a lose connection in a wire harness, and a little lose on the ground to the battery, even after the new one I didn't crank down enough.
My advice is do a through run-down of all your connections, checking all harnesses and tightening up where you can, those movers suck, I feel your pain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I am I school for language training here on Bragg, that, and I am nothing short of stupid when it comes to mechanical items. Computers, check. A/V, check. Furniture and wood, check. Motors and anything related to things to go vroom? Not this guy. I will probably have to find something similar to a how-to guide on identifying and inspecting said harnessing but not sure where to begin.

In regards to military movers, a guy in one of my sister battalions had his HD crated and packed in the US, then took the time to google how to write "THIS SIDE UP," in five languages (French, Spanish, English, German, and Italian. Two months later he gets his HD, shipped upside down, some fluid(s) came loose and ruined all his custom items (it's an HD so obviously chrome....) and seized the engine. 9 months later he finally got a check just for the value of the bike, not the loan or the custom fixings...

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Hello,
I had/have been having issues with my 04 R6 in that the key does not always like to turn while inside the ignition. ...................
Mine developed the issue because I was in the rain all the time.

Few puffs of powdered graphite for locks and problem go bye-bye.

First thing I always do when acquiring a vehicle is make backup keys off the original and stow the original away. So I knew it wasn't a worn-key issue.

Let us know what you find out.

·
The ground always wins.
6 Posts
Awful story about the HD, I have a custom sportster and would be livid if that had happened, HDs are so overpriced... They move us around the country, inject us with everything under the sun, feed us awful food and break our stuff, but we keep coming back to work :usa :flex:

Try looking into your stator, search around here with that and you might find some common problems.

Stay safe brother, if youre ever coming south to the Naval Air Station lemme know. I have some buddies in Lejune as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts