Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am going to look at an 07 r6 that hasn't been started in 2.5 years. The bike was wrecked but is worth repairing (as opposed to parting out). However what concerns me is the motor and fuel system since it hasn't been started in 2.5 years. I have an 01 r6 that I rebuilt but am not familiar with the newer models. Can you give me an idea of what I may be looking at in terms of engine and fuel delivery issues? Can injectors be cleaned or can I expect to have to buy new injectors? Looking for any and all issues you guys can think of. He is asking 1500 but I really don't expect to offer more than 1k. The bike has 10k miles on the motor by the way. Thanks guys.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Make sure you don't try starting it with the old fuel in there. Probably wouldn't hurt to have fresh oil in there, too.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Fwiw, my bike was a repo that I out back together in 2013. It hadn't been registered since 2009' so I'd guess 2010 was the latest it was run. I didn't do anything other than change the oil and out fresh gas in. No issues at all with the injectors. I'm sure every case is different. Probably the biggest variables are going to be how the bike was stored and if the gas turned to shit.

I'd say worst case you pick up some injectors off ebay. Since you would be spending the time and money to replace them you might look into cleaning and balancing them (or do that with the ones currently on the bike).

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
we service fuel injectors. www.proflowtech.com $19 per
Buying some off ebay would be as much a gamble if you don't service them, as it is just running the ones that have sat for 2 years with gas going bad in them. If it had been non-ethanol gas, it may not have been a problem, but since there is nearly no chance it was not ethanol blended fuel, why risk it.

Worst case you need injectors serviced, and a used fuel pump off ebay. $150-175. Buy from a reputable seller, so if you get one that doesn't work (ethanol issues again) they will exchange it. Fuel pressure must be 47-50 psi for these bikes to run properly. You can TEST your current one. by lifting the tank, removing the fuel line from the pump, and hooking a hose to it. run the hose to a small bucket. Turn on ignition to prime the system, and fuel should run out for a moment. If not.. (as long as the tank has gas) the pump is junk.

Keep this in mind. About 2-5% of our business, are customers sending us injectors to check out after a motor failure. about 1/2 the time, at least one injector was flowing much less than others or not at all. This causes that cylinder to run lean obviously, and bang.. engine needs mega repair. this usually happens in cases like yours, when an engine sits for a LONG time with gas that goes bad. Ethanol fuels start to deteriorate after 90 days. sometimes it's not bad, and much of the problem has to do with how much condensation formed in the gas tank while sitting.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Owner just advised me he never drained engine or prepped it prior to letting it sit so I guess I am looking at some gummed up issues.

Not to mention he informed me he cannot locate title :(

So looks like I am in for another used bike fiasco.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts