Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tldr - do i keep my bike and convert it to track only or do i sell street bike and buy track bike with mods?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

I am considering converting my 04 to a full time track bike.

There are two options that I am looking at: 1) keep current bike and put on race fairings. 2) sell street bike, buy track bike with mods.

My guess is that I can get a nice track bike for the price of my street bike. The downside is that I have to wait to find a bike within my budget and may be without a bike for a while. I am looking at getting an 03-05 so I can keep learning and fix her up for cheap in case of crashes.

Obviously getting a bike with a bunch of mods would be better than stock, but since this is my first year at the track I am okay using stock suspension for now. This way I would avoid having to buy a bike, sell a bike, and all the risks that go along with buying a used track bike (what condition is motor really in, title issues, etc.).

thanks for reading and let me know what you think!:toocool:

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
If you can run your bike as it is with just race fairings on, then yeah, keep the bike and run it as it is.

If you want goodies on the bike, then sell the street bike and buy a used 2nd gen R6 all tricked out for the track for about the same price as your street bike.

I'm guessing you would be able to sell yours for ~$3500-4000 or so, that should buy you a decent track bike. No point is spending 2-3 grand additional to your street bike to get it upto date (suspension, damper, fairings etc).

·
Track Only!
1,550 Posts
If you can run your bike as it is with just race fairings on, then yeah, keep the bike and run it as it is.

If you want goodies on the bike, then sell the street bike and buy a used 2nd gen R6 all tricked out for the track for about the same price as your street bike.

I'm guessing you would be able to sell yours for ~$3500-4000 or so, that should buy you a decent track bike. No point is spending 2-3 grand additional to your street bike to get it upto date (suspension, damper, fairings etc).
This...

Motorcycle.com SUCKS! I hate this app! Sent from my phone using Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
if you have a clean/clear titled street bike, sell it as such. then use that money for a salvage/no-title track-only bike, and pocket the difference... or use it to mod the piss out of it. :D

·
Registered
108 Posts
What mods would you expect on a track bike?

Keep in mind that if the suspension isn't close for your weight then new springs will be needed, which adds cost. And if the suspension components are really good, you pay for them.

Most track bikes end up with mods after wrecks. That's how mine got rear sets, clip-ons, new sliders and a flashy new paint job. :jacked But each wreck usually leaves behind, "Ahh it's good enough parts."

The point, most track bikes aren't all that trick with the exception being sometimes suspension. They look bling with track body work and all the stock components that have been tossed, but underneath most are pretty close to stock.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Are you a gear head? You could sell all the street stuff and make enough for some goodies for the track. I would rather use the bike I have and know the history of, and convert it to track myself. I'd rather put the mods I want and do the wrenching myself.

But buying a used race bike is prly the better bet lol.

·
Parts Pimp
26,455 Posts
What mods would you expect on a track bike?

Keep in mind that if the suspension isn't close for your weight then new springs will be needed, which adds cost. And if the suspension components are really good, you pay for them.

Most track bikes end up with mods after wrecks. That's how mine got rear sets, clip-ons, new sliders and a flashy new paint job. :jacked But each wreck usually leaves behind, "Ahh it's good enough parts."

The point, most track bikes aren't all that trick with the exception being sometimes suspension. They look bling with track body work and all the stock components that have been tossed, but underneath most are pretty close to stock.
Every track bike we work on has TONS of little nagging issues and always need a whole mess of work. Buy it from a friend or someone with records of repairs or maintenance thru a good shop. Ask that shop about the bike, etc. Do your research. Track bike get ABUSED bro. Your 04 isn't worth too much and it's not like you'll have a track bike tomorrow, ya know. You gotta sell it, wait, dick around with tire kickers, etc.

My 08 with a title and LOW LOW miles was a stupid bike to track out. Less valuable not mint bike with over 3500 miles might as well track it and find some used parts. For instance, I am thinking about selling my 02. The forks fit your bike but are a little long but built. I sell woodcraft and can get you nice bodywork, clip ons, and anything you need.

Some people only buy knew bikes cause they know where it's been. Track bikes are a roll of the dice unless its from someone you trust IMO. The handful our guys have picked up have had so many issues and was a lot of money in suspension resprings and refreshes. Leaks here and there, shit all done wrong all over the place. Mad bolts missing. One had electrical tape on the brake reservoir arm to the MC.. Then the forks leaked, then we had to scavenge my oem 02 forks.. A TTX later, and some heavily sprung 02 forks and the bike is amazing! for an 03!!! Seriously!

If you're interested in a cheaper fairing option, lemme know and I can probably pull that off for you too. I love helping people get to the track.

In the meanwhile tape your lights and get one or two in bro!!!

Anthony

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Every track bike we work on has TONS of little nagging issues and always need a whole mess of work. Buy it from a friend or someone with records of repairs or maintenance thru a good shop. Ask that shop about the bike, etc. Do your research. Track bike get ABUSED bro. Your 04 isn't worth too much and it's not like you'll have a track bike tomorrow, ya know. You gotta sell it, wait, dick around with tire kickers, etc.

My 08 with a title and LOW LOW miles was a stupid bike to track out. Less valuable not mint bike with over 3500 miles might as well track it and find some used parts. For instance, I am thinking about selling my 02. The forks fit your bike but are a little long but built. I sell woodcraft and can get you nice bodywork, clip ons, and anything you need.

Some people only buy knew bikes cause they know where it's been. Track bikes are a roll of the dice unless its from someone you trust IMO. The handful our guys have picked up have had so many issues and was a lot of money in suspension resprings and refreshes. Leaks here and there, shit all done wrong all over the place. Mad bolts missing. One had electrical tape on the brake reservoir arm to the MC.. Then the forks leaked, then we had to scavenge my oem 02 forks.. A TTX later, and some heavily sprung 02 forks and the bike is amazing! for an 03!!! Seriously!

If you're interested in a cheaper fairing option, lemme know and I can probably pull that off for you too. I love helping people get to the track.

In the meanwhile tape your lights and get one or two in bro!!!

Anthony
Thanks, I am thinking of going this route. Too much hassle for a few hundo to find new bike and not know what condition its in, etc. I will keep the forums posted.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
Sell it. Buy a track whore with a salvage title for half the coin and buy track days (or a trailer to get the thing to the track. :laugh).

EDIT: although Anthony does have a point... Your 2004 isn't going to be pulling in mad money. I'd probably sell the street stuff and track that slut.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sell it. Buy a track whore with a salvage title for half the coin and buy track days (or a trailer to get the thing to the track. :laugh).

EDIT: although Anthony does have a point... Your 2004 isn't going to be pulling in mad money. I'd probably sell the street stuff and track that slut.
this is my plan for now. i have that termi and corbin seat + fairings and headlights. will post up in FS section soon.

btw I am putting a hitch on my parents car (ordered today) so I can haul that ho around in style!!

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
I was just having a similar convo with Justin myself, still undecided.....

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^ its just too much of a PITA to find a new bike for the summer, esp in Chicago. your area might be better for it, things are overpriced on craigslist, so forums are only way to go. i just dont a point in selling and then buying a bike, i can get rid of street stuff and swap in suspension and i am set.

for you it might be more worthwhile if you wanted to get an 03-05 gen otherwise now that you already paid for the bike and have had it a while it is a pain to swap em out. if you had cash then sure buy track bike and risk that it is in good condition. just my 2 cents, open to hearing more ideas though.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
^ its just too much of a PITA to find a new bike for the summer, esp in Chicago. your area might be better for it, things are overpriced on craigslist, so forums are only way to go. i just dont a point in selling and then buying a bike, i can get rid of street stuff and swap in suspension and i am set.

for you it might be more worthwhile if you wanted to get an 03-05 gen otherwise now that you already paid for the bike and have had it a while it is a pain to swap em out. if you had cash then sure buy track bike and risk that it is in good condition. just my 2 cents, open to hearing more ideas though.
Honestly, I'd just buy brake lines and track days man.. Suspension is expensive and you risk bending shit when you crash trying to figure shit out.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Honestly, I'd just buy brake lines and track days man.. Suspension is expensive and you risk bending shit when you crash trying to figure shit out.
for sure Steve, I am not close to outriding stock suspension so all I 'need' is fairings. other stuff later, if needed. thanks for the feedback.

·
WTF?
73 Posts
I just did this....sold my clean street bike and bought a track bike with a clean title ready to go, newer than my street bike, half the miles and 2 grand cheaper. No point in spending 1500.00 to make your 4000.00 bike a 2500.00 bike.

NESBA classifieds and WERA classifieds could have you a track bike in a week or two. Know what your getting though...remember, no way to test drive it unless you buy local from another track rider.

They are up a bit in price from a month ago though...tis the season.

·
iRun
33,319 Posts
for sure Steve, I am not close to outriding stock suspension so all I 'need' is fairings. other stuff later, if needed. thanks for the feedback.
I'd also get some fren tubo brake lines, honestly... Even at a novice pace the brake fade from the OEM rubber lines is damn near dangerous.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd also get some fren tubo brake lines, honestly... Even at a novice pace the brake fade from the OEM rubber lines is damn near dangerous.
I have steel braided lines on there. That and rearsets :D I was riding the brakes kind of hard lately and had to move the brake lever up, not sure if it was be because of the brake pads or my fluid or what. After they cooled off, they worked fine, but in the laps I had to pull the brake further in to get contact.

I'm in intermediate now Steve!! No mas novice. I was able to crank out 1:25-1:30 during my last couple sessions at BHF.

·
In Her Dreams
562 Posts
I have Fren Tubo type 3s already as well so I guess I'll just make the street bike a track bike

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 20 of 27 Posts