Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2007 Candy Red R6. I successfully removed the gas tank stickers with a blow dryer but there was still a little bit of resin left. So...I put a very small amount of Goo Gone on the sticker residue for about 30 seconds, wiped it off, and found that the Goo Gone had dulled/hazed out the clear coat finish. I'm very disappointed. My questions are:

1. Should I put some rubbing compound, like Turtle Wax Polishing Compound on the dulled/hazed areas and see if I can buff it out then apply some wax?

2. I have an aerosol can of Color Rite Clear Coat...Could I spray over the areas successfully without having to sand the dulled/hazed stuff completely off/down to the paint?

3. If I don't have to sand down the clear coat entirely, could I use like a 1000 to 2000 grit sand paper, sand just the dulled/hazed areas, then apply the Color Rite clear coat?

4. If question 3 is possible, Will the Color Rite clear coat even stick to the pre-existing clear coat after sanding with the 1000-2000 grit sand paper?

Thanks in advance!

·
pop wheelies
1,615 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but I used goo gone on my tank sticker, and it didn't do anything to the clear coat..that sucks man!

·
Moderatore Eccellente!
8,634 Posts
Use some finish cut buffing compound and a buffer. Done deal.

I might add: I have never heard of go-gone doing that. I have used it before on paint with no problems. I'm wondering if what your seeing is the tiny rubbing scratches you would get from the cloth. Regardless, try what I said above.

·
To the Bat Cave!
4,113 Posts
Make sure it just isn't the smeared glue. I have used goo gone on my bike no probs. Check lightly with your finger nail.

If it did that sucks, I've never known it to happen. I normally use a bug, sap, grease car remover since it is normally okay for clear coats. But I also tend to only use it before I wash my bike. Just so it doesn't sit there really long.

Edit: Next time use the sticker you just peeled off and use it to pull up the extra glue. Just stick it and rip it off really quick. Always works for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I didn't have any issues with the goo-gone I used on my candy red R6 either. As for your question...buffing it will help but I am not sure of the grit paper to use. I would call a body shop and just ask. Most likely someone will tell you. I would imagine its REALLY high. Over 2000 grit.

·
Crapper was full...
2,109 Posts
that's happened to me before, where there was a haze after i used the goo-gone, but it was just the glue residue. use a clay bar to get it off.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try the least aggressive products first to get rid of the blemish.

As far as sandpaper, if you've never done WET sanding before don't start on a new vehicle. The sandpaper gets soaked for days before even touching the paint.

I would start with a good wash with a car/motorcycle soap, then I would apply polish. I like ZAINO polish, expensive, and unlike what they advise I use it right out of the bottle without any of their other products. If not ZAINO do a little research online before getting a polish, lots of the polish in auto-parts stores are too aggressive

A big mistake lots of people make is waxing. polishing and appllying product with micro-fibre towels. Lots of micro-fibre towels are made in China & India and are junk, they'll dull your finish if you rub them too much, an where a 100% cotton towel wouldn't mar the finish. The cheap micro-fibre towels have low quality synthetic fibre which is too harsh for high luster surfaces.

If polish and a nice wax like Meguiars NXT -found in most box stores- won't fix the problem, then the mildest cutting polish from either 3M, Meguiars, Griots Garage. applied with no real downward pressure may work.

Good luck, and if you can't feel the scratches or haze with a careful probe with your finger nail, chances are with the right mild product you can buff the haze out. Any good detailer will have all the products and get it done in ten minutes.

·
WATCHOUT...I'll be back
447 Posts
I'm not sure if your going to put a tank pad, but if you are maybe you can cover it up enough with one so it is not to noticable. I usually use the sticker technique like colt said. That is how I removed mine. And what was left I just washed and polished. GL on the repair.

DD

·
Registered
166 Posts
I used a ton of it when I was removing the stickers from my bike without any problems. I doubt it really did anything to the clearcoat - it's not harsh enough (no where near as good of a solvent as gasoline, and I'm sure you've dripped some gas on your tank once or twice without permanent effects).

You are probably just seeing left over glue that got smeared or that wasn't completely solvated. Take some mild rubbing compound and buff it out by hand...it'll be gone in seconds.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
Definitely don't use that Turtle Wax rubbing compound. It'll get things off your paint for sure, but if you don't buff it off IMMEDIATELY it will stain your finish.

I know from experience. And by immediately, I mean do like 4 or 5 swipes, then buff off. 4 or 5 swipes, then buff off again. It stains that quick.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wow, didn't know that! I just used a bottle of Meguiars Gold Class Diamond Compound (I think that's what it was) that someone gave me a long time ago. It's a liquid and looks just like liquid wax. Comes in a big tan bottle...

(sorry for the small pic...it was the only one I could find on Google)

I just rubbed it on with a microfiber cloth and rubbed it off immediately (just like waxing).

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
Yeah that's the same way the Turtle Wax stuff works, cept it's a dookie brown color, and like I said, you leave it on for 15 or 20 seconds and you're left with a shit-looking stain all over your paint!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I can't really answer your question, but I used goo gone on my tank sticker, and it didn't do anything to the clear coat..that sucks man!
+1 No problems with goo gone for me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the quick responses. I was able to buff the area to an almost perfect gloss. The dull haze is gone but there are micro-scratches (swirls) that can be faintly detected in the sun light, no worries, I'll slap a tank guard on it and problem solved! Thanks guys.

·
Moderator Narcissist
18,904 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses. I was able to buff the area to an almost perfect gloss. The dull haze is gone but there are micro-scratches (swirls) that can be faintly detected in the sun light, no worries, I'll slap a tank guard on it and problem solved! Thanks guys.
Some nice coats of wax could fill in those swirlies...just a thought. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts