Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to buy a 2007 R6 engine with (supposedly) less than
8k miles. It comes with everything to make it run. The guy tells me it's on a pallet right now, but it can be started and I can hear it run.

He wants $500. Just wanting to know if you'll think I should go ahead and buy this thing or pass. I don't know any more details about it. If you think of something I should look for if I look at it, or ask about, please let me know too.

Thanks in advance.

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts
"supposedly" 8k miles? i would ask for proof

·
Live Love burn Die.
270 Posts
this sounds terribly sketchy. 500$ for a bike? ehh.. i'd get more details, and try to see it. for all you know you could be listening to one of our bikes on youtube.

·
They call me... Zebra!
3,466 Posts
this sounds terribly sketchy. 500$ for a bike? ehh.. i'd get more details, and try to see it. for all you know you could be listening to one of our bikes on youtube.
Bike Engine, not a bike :fact

·
Spend ALL the monies!
1,853 Posts
its just the motor. :fact

·
Live Love burn Die.
270 Posts
i am ashamed. i apologize! i looked right over the word "engine":dunce:

·
Gotta get up to get down.
1,117 Posts
def would ask for proof of those miles

·
Jesus Reigns
4,398 Posts
I give er a listen

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice, guys.

I guess the guy's got everything hooked up to it, including the radiator, ECU, ignition, etc, and he told me it's all on a pallet and he's had it running like that. I'm getting the feeling from most people on here that it's more or less a bad idea. I may go look at it this weekend just to check it out. I'll post up if I do, and how it turns out. In the meantime, thanks again for everyone's insight.

·
I pee in the shower.
696 Posts
Is it for sure not stolen?
That's one thing I'd make sure of too. Even if no one would know, I definitely don't buy other people's stuff.

·
Rotten Hot Sweat Balls
509 Posts
That is a great deal, may be stolen. Use your head when checking it out. A motor that is taken care of will last a long time. 8K is not that many miles. Even if it is not in great shape you can rebuild it, would be a fun project.

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
8k is nothing listen to it run...if it makes any weird noise' or sounds walk away.
main thing look for is cracks in the block or and oil leaks

1 - 17 of 17 Posts