Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking into doing the undertail conversion on my 99 for a while now. I finally found some "good" deals on the battery tray and actual undertail, but then when it came to the tail/brake lights, big $$$. So I called Tobin at Clear Alternatives(site sponsor). He said that by, hopefully, next tuesday he will have in stock, the LED setup for the 01-02 undertail that has the turnsignals integrated. Cheaper than anyplace i could find for just the tail/brake itself. So just wanted to let the guys who may be interested in doing this.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update: i should have my integrated setup today! :mrgreen:
I'll let you guys know how the install goes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
r6boater said:
Update: i should have my integrated setup today! :mrgreen:
I'll let you guys know how the install goes.
Sweet, Looking forward to pics. Got a link to the site?

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry i can't show my own pics, i'm poor, no digi pics for me. But i did get them today. I did my whole undertail conversion this afternoon. I looks pure pimp shit. I love it. :boob Like i said before this was the most expensive part of the whole conversion as listed on this link

http://www.drexelmgt.com/Lee/tail/

These are the directions i went by also(for the most part)

The Integrated Lights look just like the factory and only need to be wired in. If you're doing the conversion the connectors are different so you have to use the provided scotchlocks. I tried to use the supplied resistors to slow down the flash rate but they didn't work. This didn't bother me at all, even though they are fast they look great. I would greatly recommend to any one doing the conversion to use the CA parts. the part number is #CTL-0072 they list it as the lights for 02-03 but it actually 01-02. BTW the price you get from CA will save you
HELLA $$$ from buying the stock w/o the integrated flashers. Remember we get a discount for being members, Thank you to Tobin and Matt!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
tray-$13
undertail-$65
lights-$85
$163 -total
I made my own plate braket from some sheet aluminum i already had but it was only like 2 bucks. Sorry i don't have pics to show but i used the factory holes(ones farther back) to mount the plate. i angled the bottom of the plate forward. It turned out very nice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
That looks good..I may have to invest in that for my 99

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, i'm very interested in the 01-02 undertail but i have some questions. When you have done all de work and you want to conect the led rear light's, have you got any problems? I ask this because 99-00 rear lights are normal lights, so i dont have to put any electronic box or something ? The conections are the same that 99-00? Can you explain me a little bit...

Thanks. :jump

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sergio_R6 said:
Hi guys, i'm very interested in the 01-02 undertail but i have some questions. When you have done all de work and you want to conect the led rear light's, have you got any problems? I ask this because 99-00 rear lights are normal lights, so i dont have to put any electronic box or something ? The conections are the same that 99-00? Can you explain me a little bit...

Thanks. :jump
The original lights are bulbs but they are three wires, ground, constant, and brake. The ClearAlternatives are five wire, the ground, constant, brake and one for each turnsignal. The only thing you have to add are the supplied resistors, and you don't have to do that. The resistors just keep your blink rate the same as stock. Does that help?

·
Registered
213 Posts
This is the part that i'm stuck at. I did the conversion, but I have the stock LED lights, that have only 3 wires. A Black - Ground, Blue - ?, and a yellow - ? .... How do i wire those 3 up w/ a integrator kit?

i'm a dummy when it comes to wiring shit up.

·
An SUV ate my R6
634 Posts
xroadsterx said:
This is the part that i'm stuck at. I did the conversion, but I have the stock LED lights, that have only 3 wires. A Black - Ground, Blue - ?, and a yellow - ? .... How do i wire those 3 up w/ a integrator kit?

i'm a dummy when it comes to wiring shit up.

Wires are my specialty wish I knew engines....
Black is most likely ground
Blue is running light
yellow is brake (activated by switch in brake lever).

But like I told you in the other post, tes, test and test again never trust any manufacter to stick to their color codes, I'l hook you up with a volt meter

1 - 16 of 16 Posts