Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking about buying some matte grey fairings for my 06 R6. My buddy bought some cheap fairings awhile back and told me to NEVER buy the cheap fairings because they break and scratch so easily. He says he hates them. Anybody know the price range of average-good quality fairings and good/reliable places to purchase from? I’ve never bought a new fairing set so I’m looking for some guidance

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wonder if their are any good/reliable quality after market sets. I would like to go with OEM but I’m assuming they’re rather pricey. If I could get almost the same quality for cheaper I’d go with aftermarket

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you liked your Auctmarts? How much did you pay for them and were they alright quality?

·
Registered
191 Posts
try ebay for your oem fairings then have them wrapped? I found a complete set.. piece by piece for my 03. OEM fairings but at a fraction of the cost.

·
Views from the (R)6
28 Posts
a good place to buy fairings is monster fairings, they have high quality stuff and you can even contact them to make a custom set:grin:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Also, another thing to consider about aftermarket fairings is the Paint Quality. Aside from cheaper plastics they also cut corners in the painting process. They tend to fade with time. For example, my red is slowly turning orange where the sun hits it the most.

Don't forget you're also going to have to get your tank painted to match. That can cost almost as much as the aftermarket fairings. So include that price in your total budget.

If your fairings are still in good shape I'd get a quote to have it wrapped like someone mentioned. I'm usually not a fan of wrap jobs but if done right it can look just as good as paint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Auctsmarts has terrible paint quality. They left clearcoat blisters and bits att almost every sharp edge. Fitment is okay-ish. Some parts had to be modified to fit decently.

I'd rather buy used OEM and repaint them then to go through with the trouble with Auctsmarts again.

·
Thread Killer...
49 Posts
I just picked up a set from China. From reading the post above, it appears quality is still hit or miss depending on who/when/where you buy them from.

Cost $379 shipped, standard paint scheme (Spies/Crutchlow R1 Sterilgarda scheme).

Paint: Very good. Not OEM, but a heck of a lot better than I could do myself. There are some slight imperfections, and a few lines were they didn't do a great tape job, but overall kick ass. I would say 8/10, and 10/10 from 5-10 feet away. You want mint, go OEM, apply a lot of wax, and then never ride the bike.

Fit: Perfect, I mean shockingly perfect. The one caveat is that if your brackets are all jacked up from crashing, these (or any other fairings) are not going to line up without some massaging. If you are replacing fairings for just looks (not crash damage), these mix and match with OEM for fit.

Mounting: Not going to lie, these need some work. Pretty much every hole needs to be drilled because the paint fills them in. The nice thing is that they are simple to drill (even by hand) and the holes are covered by bolts so you will never know. Also the tabs that hold the captive fasteners need to be drilled a bit. All easy stuff if you are patient. Other than that, they go right on (see Fit above).

Value: I think these kits are a great value. This is subjective of course to your situation. I picked up my R6 wrecked. And by wrecked, I mean the previous owner managed to tumble it off the road into a barb wire fence. Every fairing piece and the tank were damaged (all of them). I mean kudos to the PO for doing a complete job. Anyway, I literally had to replace every piece, so a kit seemed the easiest way to go. I could have pieced it together from OEM off eBay and the forums but I have always wanted a race themed scheme, so this was my chance. I also made changes to the colors and deleted some of the decals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went with monster fairings, had to drill out a bunch of holes but they went on pretty easy. my biggest complaint was the hardware set they sent with it. Those aluminum screws SUCK. Two broke off and I had to extract one. If you can save the OEM hardware then no issues. Solid color I might send it with a wrap, but anything complicated the Chinese ones are worth it and you can keep your OEM looking good incase you drop it later.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Great communication.
They pay close attention to detail, but they sent '09 styling for my '08.
Bottom black fairings were missing the "Y A M A H A" stickers. (I didn't need them anyway)
I think the side fairings were sized for R1, but they still fit and look great on my R6.
The plastics are OEM quality.
Beautiful clear coat finish.
Even without a sample, very close color matching on paint.
Stickers are indistinguishable from OEM and are underneath the clear coat.
I would DEFINITELY buy from them again.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/moto.flying?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754
Not a fan of FleaBay and I generally don't refer and use FleaBay as THE LAST resort, but this seller earned it.

I have left over '08 R6S fairings for the blue tail and black bottom left + right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've bought Chinese eBay farings multiple times for a few different model bikes and never had quality nor fitment issues and for as little as $300 for a full set how could you complain. Would never buy original fairing after trying cheap eBay ones.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Where can you buy OEM plastics? Does anyone have a go to site?
If your talking brand new my go-to site is partzilla. They are hard to beat price wise and since you will be spending quite a bit you don't have to worry about comparing shipping costs across sites since you will qualify for free shipping. But there are others such as bikebandit and Ron Ayers which are just as good. I often find Bike bandit to be a few more dollars on misc parts than Partzilla however.

·
Registered
13 Posts
im about to order a set from auctmart did anyone else have a problem with them other than the guy at the top of the page?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts