Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone have experience with the new 9100 series gorilla alarms? My bike was stolen back in June after 2 months of owning it but am getting a new one next week. Going to be putting Xena disk lock on it where ever I go but want to get an additional alarm system. I looked into Gorilla, scorpio, etc but decided to go with the Gorilla, my main concern with the new 9100 Gorilla alarm is its range. Does it really go for 1/2 mile? :dunce:

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gorilla in general doesn't have a very good reputation, even with the 9000 series, people have been complaining about false alarms. Battery drain was an issue with the 8000 series but they seemed to have fixed that. I would get a Scorpio system, higher price but you know the ol saying you get what you pay for. I have the Ride Scorpio system on my bike w/o the secure kit. Anyone touches my baby and I get a notification on my phone and can track its location anywhere. www.ridescorpio.com

And no, that 1/2 mile range is "line of sight" It's more along the lines of 800ft if you're in a building and your bike is in the parking lot.

whoa I could have sworn I posted here before lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oo didn't even know about that one. I just have couple more questions about it. Do you have to pay monthly fees for the GPS to work with the app in your phone? So there is no actual sounding alarms to deter the thief, just your app notifications?

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
full coverage insurance….if they want your bike they will get it no matter what lock, alarm or lo jack you have on there.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
full coverage insurance….if they want your bike they will get it no matter what lock, alarm or lo jack you have on there.
This. Disc locks are a joke as an anti-theft system, and even the best alarms aren't that hard to bypass/disable. If you want to be sure you are safe, pony up for full coverage.

·
stuntin
738 Posts
I don't think an alarm is a bad idea. I would make sure your insurance is legit so if the bike gets stolen you won't take a loss. Like others have said, it's not that hard to take if they really want it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
If you're going to spend the money might as well get a good one...

Nothing wrong with alarms but they are supplemental to good insurance. I thought having an alarm got you a discount on insurance too?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oo didn't even know about that one. I just have couple more questions about it. Do you have to pay monthly fees for the GPS to work with the app in your phone? So there is no actual sounding alarms to deter the thief, just your app notifications?
Yes there's a $11/mo fee for the service. You have the option of getting what they call the "secure kit" which consists of a perimeter sensor, siren, and keyfob. I opted out of it because i have an Abus disk lock alarm and I figured if someone took my bike with the siren blaring away, they would take the bike apart immediately to shut the damn thing up and find the gps in the process. Then again, I've never heard of an instance where a thief took a bike that was equipped with an alarm in the first place, those things are pretty difficult if not impossible to disable without drawing unwanted attention.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts