Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a blue '04 with about 500 miles on it. recently developed a sort of clicking noise. only hear it when it's in gear, so not audible when clutch is pulled in. sounds sort of like when you stick a baseball card in the spokes of your bicycle when you were a kid. getting ready to change oil for the first time, and also going to oil the chain. any other suggestions??
and for some reason my comp is a pos..... :comp

·
Registered
443 Posts
mine does it too, its normal. It's either the valves ticking or the fuel injectors, not sure which. Most of us with '04's and possibly '03's have this ticking sound. Guess it might be the injectors.

Nothing to worry about drewsy, just annoying at first. You'll get used to it.
:cheers

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
possibly hearing the clutch basket rattle as well...when you put it in neutral, let the clutch out, you will hear it ticking. Pull in the clutch, it goes away. That is normal, it is just all the clutch stuff inside the basket. :)

How is that for technical?? LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright, thanks. i just didn't know if it was something worthy of taking the bike to the shop or not. sounds like it's normal.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I post something about this earlier...I would say all 04' R6 are loud as hell. Engine nosie, the ticking, and transmission. Just get use to it and enjoy.

Put some ear plugs in and the sound goes away.

·
Registered
56 Posts
yup, my 04 does the same thing. I was freakin' out too. I found out that it is normal and what really helps is to get a loud exhaust. HAHA.

·
Registered
79 Posts
they all do it. mine does, my best friends does, and so does my boyfriends (all 04's). but after the Hindle went on...well,i can't hear it anymore :)

-chr|s sedition

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
you should be fine. when you DO change the oil for the first time (at 500 miles you are definately due), as you pour the oil in, do it slowly and pull in the clutch for like 10 seconds (while pouring) then let it go (while pouring) repeat the whole time you pour the oil.

have a friend help you, otherwise you will look like a fool and probably dump oil all over the place...

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Jasamb: I never heard of when changing oil you have to pull the clutch lever. Can you please explain...?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
you dont have to....

the place where you put the oil in....that is where your clutch is. the clutches in our bikes are wet clutches are "wet clutches" and are covered in oil. by working the clutch lever as you pour in the oil, you are allowing the oil to get inside and between the plates of the clutch. it is more important in the first few oil changes because sometimes the clutches are not properly soaked at the factory. as you ride, oil gets in the clutch, but I figured it cant hurt to try to squeeze a little more oil in there whenever you change it, at least for the first few changes

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the feedback. first oil change will be coming up in the next day or so. i'll give your clutch technique a go. thanks jas.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
giddy-up!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts