Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Two Brothers Aluminum V.A.L.V.E. slip-on exhaust for my 09. I noticed a little power difference but it's super quiet. Anyway to make it louder?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
How much power do you think you picked up?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Wow, I tried 3 slip-ons on my 08 and didn't get anything.... I always figured that the slipon hp gain claims were a bunch of bullshit, being that the catalyst and muffler are way more restrictive than the slipon... I guess i shoulda picked the TBR VALE slipon too...

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Olson performance Y pipe. PM Roadrash, he is a distributor for them.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
As already mentioned a slip on doesn't really do much for performance, or making your bike louder in this case. The stock slip on on the 06-forward R6 is pretty much straight thru, the large box under your bike is a muffler, the cat is built into the header tubes. Removing the muffler under the bike (bolt-on y-pipes do this) require cutting your factory exhaust. This will make it louder, but the cats (in the header tubes) still quiet it down some (it will still be considerably louder though).

As mentioned the 05 headers can be used, you'll have to enlarge the holes in the flanges to make it work. It's a fairly easy swap, but not a direct bolt-on. And the you'll need a pipe adapter on the output.

Y-pipes come in both bolt on and weld on. Bolt on will just remove the muffler, weld on will remove the muffler and cat.

Third option that would be a direct bolt on, would be an MJS Header. ~$250 if you send back in your stock header. My install thread with pictures of all the stuff I got from MJS. I went that route because it was a direct bolt-on, and I bought everything from MJS, Mike even preloaded the power commander with the correct map for the parts.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm just looking for a good cheap alternative for right now until I get the money for headers.

If I did 05 headers for now how much would the pipe adapter cost and would I need to get it tuned or mapped?

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The adapter is something you can get at the autoparts store, or have an exhaust shop make you one up.

If you don't get it mapped, it will generally have a couple hi-cups in the power band, and will can run lean, which can be bad. Lots of people run without the tune for a while, but most end up getting a power commander.

If you are going to get a header, either just buy a header, or go with the MJS route. I know I never can find 05 headers for $30.... If it's not really what you want, you'll just be buying what you really want later. Makes more sense to save money and get what you want the first time around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts