Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Shiny. Let's be bad guys.
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello nice people! I bought a bike-in-a-box and hope to accomplish the impossible task of putting the puzzle back together. I have no idea what I'm doing but armed with a Haynes manual, some parts diagrams and the interwebs...I'm hoping to have something to ride by 3015! Comments and tips are always welcome. There will be many more pictures uploaded later... :D

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
101 year build? This is going to be awesome sauce!!!!!

·
Stunt Rider
7,981 Posts
Your off to a rocky start already brutha.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
No boobs. I am disappoint.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Bikeinnabox. Nothing like jumping in feet first, eh?

Isn’t lighter faster?

Lemme tell you how fun it is to order parts when you don’t know what you’re doing. I ended up ordering literally 100 parts. Some of them I did not use or need…

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So, if I’m the girl and I put the cases in the dishwasher…who yells at me?

Yes I degreased them first…I mean, that would be gross.

Old case.

It looks like…metal.

I’d like to invite all of you over for dinner. What are we having? Bearing soup.

Who needs a lift? The book just said to take all the weight off the suspension. Safe? Yeah, Mom, I was perfectly safe. See how those tires were totally keeping the bike from falling?

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ugh. That’s so DIRTY! Where’s my Mr. Clean?

So much better! Yes, I’ve quietly watched the debate over suspension/ride dynamics for years. I have installed the lowering link, I’m not racing the bike…deal with it. My stripper shoes just didn’t give me enough purchase on the ground so I needed my baby lower.

That stand actually works pretty well. Initially it was a bit of a pain in the ass to get perfect but it works. I have NOT sat atop the bike on the stand though as I don’t trust it that far yet.

To torque down those sprocket (gear?) nuts, I can only imagine how…interesting…it must have looked as I sat astride the tire and grunted it out. I know I had a good reason I didn’t torque them with the tire mounted but heck if I remember what that was.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
This is what I had to work with...

BEST. 3D PUZZLE. EVER. Hopefully I assembled it correctly!

Here is my pride and joy, the output transmission shaft. I think. I had so much fun reassembling it (and also the input shaft). Who came up with these names? Naughty! Anyway, Molybdenum oil is used to make it gooey for lubrication and whatnot. You make the molybdenum oil (from now on we shall call it molybdenum juice) out of the grease and engine oil. I was super excited to learn that.

Old case again.

Annnnnnnnd some damage. That hole makes it breathe better, right?

“New” top end. All cleaned up and oiled. This was my first real dumbass moment. I mean, aside from buying the bike in the first place. I thought I could keep the cases from rusting by coating them lovingly in oil. Then I realized they were aluminum. Shhhh…don’t tell anyone.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
This is the new bearing that goes in the housing for the input transmission shaft, where the clutch is. Boiling the old bearing (I don’t have a knife-edge bearing puller or whatever they were talking about in the ‘help’ section of the book), is a good way to extract the steel bearing from the aluminum housing as the aluminum will expand well before the steel will. Basically. Very basically. Heh. I actually had two of these from both cases but I wanted the older housing as it didn’t look like someone had extracted it with Channellocks. I boiled the old one and froze the second and freezing actually worked better. You still have to pound the shit (can I say shit?) out of the shaft with a rubber mallet but it did work without causing harm to the components. I then used the bearing press I bought when I replaced my car’s rear wheel bearing to press the bearing in. Freezing the new bearing is also a great way to ease the pressing process but I’m sure you guys know that.

Here’s the trial run of the input shaft in the case. I was also testing the old bearing (the one pressed into the back of the case) because I couldn’t think of how to get that bearing out except with a bearing puller/hammer…thing. Whatever that is called. I don’t have that tool either. XD I was lucky the old bearing is still good so I saturated it with moly juice and Bob’s your uncle.

Next we have the case with input trans and shift drum. I put the input shaft in and was like…what’s that hole next to it for? Ha. It was an ‘Oh, perhaps I will need that drum thing later.’ I probably had some Redbull after that to regain focus.

Look! The selectors! That was a fine amount of squinting at diagrams to get the alignment correct too. Then there was the, ‘Left side of the engine, what? Y marks?’ I think it was getting late.

Finally, pressed in.

More later! (I’m at work…SHHHHH!)

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
For the first time in a long time i am speechless. My brain can not comprehend what it sees. A woman turning all ther own wrenches and doing dirty work.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts