Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got into an accident about two weeks ago. (pics)

Well, to start off I cannot believe how unbelievably lucky I was, to be alive right now, to have no broken bones. Only sore and minor collapsed lung.

So I riding in the fast lane on the freeway, about a car and a half to two car lengths behind a suv. I couldn't really see through the window the suv, so when the car in front of the suv slammed on the brakes, I couldn't see it. The suv, obviously slammed her brakes.

Unfortunately, there was no shoulder on the left, and by that time my rear started fishtail a bit. So my bike ended up turned left, like 90-degrees facing the concrete shoulder. I flew off (or thrown off), my body was parallel to the ground, sort of like flying superman-style. My whole right side of the body slammed onto the back of the suv at like 50mph. I didn't lose consciousness, and probably the adrenaline helped me not feel any pain at all.

So after verifying my limbs and neck are okay, was about to stand up. Heard screeching on the second lane next to me, then bump bump bump. What was at most a 3 car accident became a nine car accident. :eek: They were probably seeing if I was alright or not, but that stigma that I caused a 9 car accident aint cool...:thumbdown

So stood up and talked to the lady in front, she immediately told me that she had to slam on the brakes because the car in front of her did. Long story short, it's my fault. Update on bike coming next...

All that damage was caused by my body and helmet, not the bike...

Can't really see the damage from those angles, but both wheels are done, need new triple-tree, ignition, some fairings, seat cowl is messed up, scruffed up slipon, clutch and brake levers, right handlebar, can't remember the rest...

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
:eek5 holy shit man...youre the luckiest guy on the planet:fact

Glad youre still with us...

And I cant believe theyre pinning this on you...wtf

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys.

Everynight before I doze off, I keep thinking how on earth did I survive that. I literally ate the suv at 50mph. But, probably God up there decided it wasn't my time to go yet. That's the only explanation I have.

·
Speedy Claxton
1,767 Posts
good to still have you with us man.. hope everything turns out well. get ur bike up and running and forget about that shit. you got plenty of miles left to enjoy bro.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right now all my relatives are encouraging me to give it up...saying I used up my luck already (makes kind of sense).

For those that have been in an accident before, how was your experience post-accident? Did you guys get jitters when you get back on the bike?

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Right now all my relatives are encouraging me to give it up...saying I used up my luck already (makes kind of sense).

For those that have been in an accident before, how was your experience post-accident? Did you guys get jitters when you get back on the bike?
It's up to you to decide if you want to continue riding or not. Others have stopped riding the streets and do track only. Or you can get a ABS bike, this is one of the things I hate about motorcycles. You can lock up the breaks easily.

I went down on my first bike when I first started riding in the rain, took a few months but I was back on it again. Then when I got my 6 and high sided couple months ago I felt bad but motorcycling is my passion. I'm still not taking corners as fast as I used to but I'm working on it.

All depends on how you feel about it, you could always give it up for a few years and then get back on.

·
off roadin' GARDEN SLAYA!
904 Posts
My family has said the same thing to me after two recent accidents I was in. My response is simple; motorcycling is my passion and I'm not going to give it up.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I'm not about quit. My mom's giving me the cold shoulder these days. Lol. Right now just gotta fix up my bike and pray that my premium don't go up toooo much!!! :thumbdown

glad you're ok bro. what's a minor collapsed lung?
I got the minor collapsed lung from hitting the back of the suv so hard. In between the lungs and the ribcage there's a substance that helps keep the lungs inflated. Due to the hard impact my body sustained, air/gas got in between my right lung and ribcage, causing the top part of my lung to be "collapsed." Symptoms are shortness of breath and chest pain.

Luckily mine didn't increase and was small enough to allow normal healing. Any larger would mean they need to cut a hole underneath my armpits and stick a one way tube in there to suck up the air. They just gave me pure oxygen to breathe and some IV's.

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts

I wrecked on Highway 9... Broke my elbow and had some minor damage to the bike... I couldn't ride for abour a month or two.. I just couldn't give up riding... So I'm back.. and a lot more cautious :fact

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wrecked on Highway 9... Broke my elbow and had some minor damage to the bike... I couldn't ride for abour a month or two.. I just couldn't give up riding... So I'm back.. and a lot more cautious :fact
That's good to hear!! Yeah, I think I'm going to ride with 5 car lengths in front of me now!! lol In a more serious note I'm kind of considering taking advanced MSF courses. I took the beginner one before already.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It'll be an interesting time period of fixing up my bike though. Also can't believe my insurance is paying for the damages instead of totalling it out. :confused:

·
Track Aficionado
1,184 Posts
And I cant believe theyre pinning this on you...wtf
In Cali, anytime you hit someone from behind, regardless of the circumstances, the law is that the collision is your fault. Dubious law, but it encourages drivers not to tailgate, and maintain a lengthy distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

OP, glad you lived to tell the tale.

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
sux to hear mate. get back on asap and just ride and dont let fear hold you back. i went down hard after hitting a stationary/turning car around a blind bend doing over 60mph riding like a dick in traffic(see user name :lmao), but since then have been incident free, apart from "cagers" as you call them in the states, cutting me off and just not seeing me:cuss just ride to your abilitys and to the conditions and dont take any unneccasary risks and you should be ok. all the best mate...****...

·
Banned
2,583 Posts
In Cali, anytime you hit someone from behind, regardless of the circumstances, the law is that the collision is your fault. Dubious law, but it encourages drivers not to tailgate, and maintain a lengthy distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.

OP, glad you lived to tell the tale.
Same law here in NYC..

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
My family has said the same thing to me after two recent accidents I was in. My response is simple; motorcycling is my passion and I'm not going to give it up.
I have the same issue. My mom cries every time I even mention getting a new bike (I sold my 250 a week ago and am going to look at a candy red k7 tomorrow...well today technically). But the passion kind of overrules, sorry mom :sing

To make things worse, I had a friend lose a leg in an accident this month. A guy my mom works with was rear ended on his cbr600rr and broke his wrist. And my loving aunt decided to tell my mom every time a motorcyclist dies around here. Not that its her business, but she doesn't want me riding either.
Makes things a lot harder for me.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have the same issue. My mom cries every time I even mention getting a new bike (I sold my 250 a week ago and am going to look at a candy red k7 tomorrow...well today technically). But the passion kind of overrules, sorry mom :sing

To make things worse, I had a friend lose a leg in an accident this month. A guy my mom works with was rear ended on his cbr600rr and broke his wrist. And my loving aunt decided to tell my mom every time a motorcyclist dies around here. Not that its her business, but she doesn't want me riding either.
Makes things a lot harder for me.
Tough, try having asian parents... :lmao

1 - 20 of 45 Posts