Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, just got this battery in yesterday since my stocker went dead. I'm highly impressed with the size and function and I'd recommend this to anyone looking for a stock battery replacement.

Here it is compared to stock.

SO MUCH MORE ROOM FOR ACTIVITIES.

**Update** 4/5/11

Had lots of problems with the battery, here's the "other" thread, went ahead and posted the update from it in here also.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135180

Just got off the phone with Chip, we got things cleared up, and I'm sending my battery out ASAP. Once he gets the battery and tests it I should have a new one pretty quickly, I'll let everyone know when I actually receive the replacement, but as of right now it looks like we've reached a resolution, and that the guys from Ballistic do what they can as far as customer service is concerned. We also came to the conclusion that with their high phonecall traffic yesterday, the 3 calls I placed probably just plain and simply didn't go through with all of the lines being busy.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
lets see how long it lasts first.
it can start it a few times really good or can it start one for a few years reliably is the real question.
I think you should have went with the 8 cell one instead though.

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
I so want one of these. That way I can put my alarm in there and other goodies... but my battery is still good..

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Looks great and yet so small. I will be getting one later so I can has the roomz for bazzaz in the battery compartment. Dont like to put it in the tail, just in case of a severe crash and the subframe gets damaged. This will serve dual purpose.

Prolly cut some seat foam or something to keep it in place.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
it can start it a few times really good or can it start one for a few years reliably is the real question.
Do you have any logic to support all of this or are you just bitter this morning?

NICE! I was looking into putting some foam around my little battery (motydesign) so it doesn't move around and ground out, possibly causing a fire or something. How strudy and stable is it in there?

You gonna be test riding soon now!?!
Looks great and yet so small. I will be getting one later so I can has the roomz for bazzaz in the battery compartment. Dont like to put it in the tail, just in case of a severe crash and the subframe gets damaged. This will serve dual purpose.

Prolly cut some seat foam or something to keep it in place.
Why not velcro it down?

Ram, the only pain of putting the bazzaz in the battery space is the harness is huge and it's difficult to make tidy in there.

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
Why not velcro it down?

Ram, the only pain of putting the bazzaz in the battery space is the harness is huge and it's difficult to make tidy in there.
Velcro is a good option, and I'll have loads of time to install my Bazzaz, so will check how it fits in the battery tray and take it from there.

:cheers

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

well so far it's great, and according to ballistic perf, there's no need for anything more than a 4-cell if you're not running a TON of accessories

NICE! I was looking into putting some foam around my little battery (motydesign) so it doesn't move around and ground out, possibly causing a fire or something. How strudy and stable is it in there?

You gonna be test riding soon now!?!
It doesn't move at all with the stock rubber strap holding it down, so that's awesome.. and I actually went for a ride right after the install man :) it was great!

Why not velcro it down?

i was thinking the same thing at first man but honestly it's pretty darn sturdy in there with the stock tie down. If you wanted to move it into the corner or something that'd be a good option.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Not you - I was just saying to the other guys who hadn't installed their yet :cheers

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
well so far it's great, and according to ballistic perf, there's no need for anything more than a 4-cell if you're not running a TON of accessories

It doesn't move at all with the stock rubber strap holding it down, so that's awesome.. and I actually went for a ride right after the install man :) it was great!

i was thinking the same thing at first man but honestly it's pretty darn sturdy in there with the stock tie down. If you wanted to move it into the corner or something that'd be a good option.
:werd Glad to hear you had a nice ride bro! Thx for the feedback on the mounting

Not you - I was just saying to the other guys who hadn't installed their yet :cheers
Not a bad idea, but just doesn't seem as study as I'd like it. I'm picky bout my battery restraints. LOL

What's the benefit of this battery other than. Weight and size? My battery is going on 3 years now and might need replacing soon.
Bragging rights!!

Seriously, at least the MOTY one I have, I know it will do 3 times as many discharge cycles than the oem one, so it should last 3 times as long. And it has an extremely nominal standing discharge rate. Some batteries will lose like .1 volt every 2 weeks of sitting, etc.. The MOTY one doesn't discharge at all hardly.

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What's the benefit of this battery other than. Weight and size? My battery is going on 3 years now and might need replacing soon.

Like C.S.D Said about the MOTY, the Ballistic Performance parts batteries lose only 10% of their charge after a YEAR of not being used, they don't require a trickle charger or anything like that, and they have a 3 year warranty.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
Do you have any logic to support all of this or are you just bitter this morning?
you think I just talk out of my ass? ballistic recommends the 8 cell for a street bike. they have lights and do more starting.
now run along little boy this is an adult's thread.

·
Schrute Farms Beets
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you think I just talk out of my ass? ballistic recommends the 8 cell for a street bike. they have lights and do more starting.
Odd. Ballistic told me, horses mouth, " Unless you're running a ton of accessories, the 4 cell will start a 600 all day anyday"

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
You said it, not me.

How does ^this bolded statement

Come up with any of this blasphemy?

And I don't recall him asking if he made the right choice with his battery - I think the product itself is self-explanatory in that sense. And oh dang, should it fail - it's got the best warranty in the business.

Would a little tact kill you? :nono

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was interested in this topic and thought Id research this style of battery for when I need one which will probably be within a year since my stocker is 3 years old.

Anyhow stumbled across this on Ballistic's website, direct copy and paste from this link, http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/batteries.html

The 4 Cell model is the smallest and lightest powersports battery on the market. This battery is designed for use in small displacement, up to 600cc racing applications where weight is the primary consideration. A 600cc sport bike uses a battery that weighs almost 8 pounds. The Ballistic Performance Components Battery 4 Cell EVO 2 weighs less than a pound! That’s a 7 pound saving for less than $100! You would have to spend thousands on Titanium, Carbon Fiber and Magnesium to get that kind of weight savings. The 4 Cell model can easily start a 600cc sport bike, but we recommend them only for racing applications. If you ride your 600cc sport bike on the street, we recommend the 8 Cell model.

:fact

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Yep. Saw that. Still running a 4 cell in my street setup just fine :)

·
R6 Junkie
2,534 Posts
I will be using the 4 cell as well shortly on my "street" bike. The 4 cell has plenty to start the bike and then the bikes system can sustain the accesories, from what it seems to me the only reason you would need anything more is if you have say an alarm that will draw while the bike is off.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
I will be using the 4 cell as well shortly on my "street" bike. The 4 cell has plenty to start the bike and then the bikes system can sustain the accesories, from what it seems to me the only reason you would need anything more is if you have say an alarm that will draw while the bike is off.
Nuh uh! Your battery sucks! :FU

1 - 20 of 42 Posts