Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since the bike is at my mom's i wasn't able to install it... but here are my first impressions so far:

i bought the black powdercoated one...

the delivery lady came yesterday with a tattered white box... nothing i didn't expect since it did come from overseas... anyway, i make my way through the masking tape and find a letter on top of all the wrappings.

the letter mentioned something about the black powdercoat not being cured, and having to be "Baked" at 450 degrees for 30 minutes. i was like WTF! i still have to worry about curing the paint? how am i supposed to "bake it" it won't fit in my small ass oven! i touched the pipes as well, and a good powdering of paint was left on my fingers... this leaves me worried. :(

anyway, i keep reading on, and it states to be very careful handling the exhaust, because the paint will chip... it also says to have an extra pair of hands available to help mount the exhaust carefully enough not to chip the paint. and when it is installed, run the bike for at least 30 minutes for the paint to cure from the exhaust heat...

so it has to cure at 450 F, !!! that is hot! does the stock exhaust get that hot??? maybe...

so i go through the instructions, and wolf supplies heat shielding, which is placed between the can and the seat, and another strip of shielding to be placed on top ofthe rear hugger... reallly??? that was one of my main concerns too... was that if there was enough clearance left underneath the seat... if the exhaust gets hot, and i'm taking turns hard, would the hugger touch???

anyway, hopefully i'll get to install it next week. hope this is enough for you all to chatter about, and share your experiences. maybe i can get a few questions answered as well :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
for the curing maybe you can use a heat gun? I know it might take a bit, but it's just an idea since you can't fit the exhaust in your oven.

I don't think the exhaust installed gets to 450 degrees. I could be wrong, but I've never known of any slip ons getting that hot. Plus if that's true I wonder how the tail lights will take it, because I made a mistake of trying the oven trick to split open the tail lights. I just finished baking a pizza at 350 degrees and decided to throw the 03 r6 tail light in there for 3 minutes to get it to split open. In the time it took me to run upstairs and back down (less then a minute) I saw the lens start to melt like those shrinky dinks and the wiring start to smoke.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Exhaust gas comes out of the engine and down the link pipes at 800 degress so just normal running will cure the caoting - it's just an advisory note that the paint company asj us to put on there anyway so hopefully not a big deal - just fit it carefully like you would any painted part and then run the bike as normal for 30 minutes after the install.

·
Registered
614 Posts
That doesn't make sence. Why wouldn't cure the coating at the the shop before they ship it out? Can someone please fill me in on this.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The paint shop part cure it but no commercial paint oven can get as hot as an exhaust and because the paint is good to 1200 degrees so it doesn't melt off like normal powder coat would it has a very high cure temperature. It really isn't a big deal it just needs running on the bike for 30 minutes ( a normal ride out) to fully harden. It has to build up heat gradually over a few minutes though it doesn't work if you use a blow torch etc as it gets too hot too quickly.

It's the same with any exhaust paint - no problem if you just have a can as that doesn't get much above 200 degrees max and normal enamel will be ok at this temperature but where you have the pipe work coated too it gets really hot so needs special high temp paint. If you buy a can of exhaust header paint at the local auto parts store it will sy the same on the back - cure fully by running the engine for 30 minutes or so.

It's really not a big deal guys - you need be no mor ecareful than you would installing a polished pipe - don't scratch it, don't hit it etc and when it's been run and cured it will be pretty tough

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wow, I can't believe all the work it takes to install a pipe! I really like my BF can, but can understand why I think that they stopped making the 3D carbon fiber because it feels like mine is "feathering" or something on the outside carbon fiber...I would never buy a Wolf exhaust for all that work!! :moon

·
Registered
181 Posts
well over the weekend, i saw my first Wolf undertail system up close. I prefer my highmount titanium BF. Just something about the Wolf that distracts the eye and makes it look out of place.

·
Registered
380 Posts
interesting

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't know but I think that the wolf system still looks tight as hell. I would have to see it in person, but if I had the money back when they where selling those 5 systems or however many it was for a real cheap price I would have sure hopped on it. It doesn't seem like that much work for what you are getting though. I would think that it was going to be little harder than a regular slip-on to install, I mean it's a two can underseat system. Any way thats just my two cents

·
Registered
62 Posts
My vision of an exhaust is one you take out of the box (without getting fingers smudged) and install it straight forward....no need to install heat shields, no need to run the bike for 30 minutes to "finalize" the pipe's finish...Just doesn't seem right for me. I guess it's one's choice. A product should be one that is taken out of the box, installed and enjoyed! Not sorting through all the things the original poster wrote above... :poke

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jay - still have one left if you want it...

I guess if you want the simplest install go for polished not black - unfortunately we cannot change the laws of physics and coatings that will take several hundred degrees of heat are very few and all have to be cured. I supppose we could install a blast furnace here to cure them but frankly as we only sell aboy 20 a year compared to hundreds in polished we can't justify the $30,000 it would cost!

Adobo - if running the bike for 30 minutes is too much trouble we'll happily swap it for a polished one

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wolf said:
Jay - still have one left if you want it...

I guess if you want the simplest install go for polished not black - unfortunately we cannot change the laws of physics and coatings that will take several hundred degrees of heat are very few and all have to be cured. I supppose we could install a blast furnace here to cure them but frankly as we only sell aboy 20 a year compared to hundreds in polished we can't justify the $30,000 it would cost!

Adobo - if running the bike for 30 minutes is too much trouble we'll happily swap it for a polished one
didn't mean to sound like i was complaining, i was just giving my first impressions... if the paint begins to be a problem during the install i will talk about it with you then. since im the only one with the powdercoat finish, i think it will be good if i attempt the install and write up my review.

i hope to make it home this weekend and get the install done then... just have to wait... !

·
Registered
31 Posts
honest reply

well being in the industrial design industry you cant blame the guy for giving his honest opinion and observations. Customer feedback and response is crucial for any business to be successful. Adobo has a legitamate problem with your painting process which could be solved easily, whats $30,000 compared to the amount made over the last year?
I dont mean to be offensive and i apologize for being so if i have, but from the few days that i have been on this board, negative input goes a long way. Acknowledging that you knew about this design flaw for the cost of $30,000 for the lifetime of making powdercoated exhausts isnt asking too much, i hope. You asked Adobo if running the bike for 30 was too much to ask, well let me ask you this, hooking the system in the factory to run for 30 mins, was that too much to ask?

again i apologize for my personal opinons if i have offended anyone.

jaden

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jadens - fair points but we cannot run the system in the factory as it would mean fitting it to a bike and then sending people second hand goods...

"What's $30,000 to..." well, what it is , is the profits on 150 systems - assuming all sell at full retail and not at the discounted rates we offer members here - about 400 systems at that rate. Or about 2 years sales on this one product that will only sell for about 2 years because then new bikes come out. No other system but the R6 03/04 is offered in black and from today on - given the hassle people feel this simple operation is - I wont now offer that in black either.

For some reason people assume that businesses all have unlimited funds - let me give you a heads up - Blue Flame for example, who sell a lot here - made just over twice that $30,000 profit last year across their whole business! As a comparisson that's less than say a bank manager makes in salary a year and not much more than a good mechanic! All with the risks of massive debts, losses, etc etc . So for about 20 black systems a year for maybe a 2-3 year lifespan on product $30,000 is NOT a viable investment for any company to make.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Hey Wolf,
Thanks for the input on the site first and foremost...
hope you don't think anyone is attacking you or your business or product..i think people just are giving their honest opinions...Look- to me I'd have the same reaction "What I just spent 500 bucks on a can and its not even a finished product?!?!" but on the other hand i do understand where you are coming from from the business side of things...Well good luck to you in your future business endeavors...by the way, hope to see a carbon fiber underseat system from you in the future!

kyle

1 - 20 of 22 Posts