Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Great!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my sliders installed yesterday. Took me about 3 hours, including the smoke and water break lol. Im really happy with how everything came out. First time actually doing some dremel work and this is the first mod i did to the bike.

Left Side:

Right Side:

Let me know what you guys think about it.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
nice clean cuts! daring being ur first time with a dremmel though!

·
Love to RIDE!
238 Posts
do they not make no cuts for the 08?

very very clean! but id be really iffy on cuttin up my bike...
It's worth it if you do go down while riding. If your bike was to fall over then the no cuts will work maybe!

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Looks Friggin Flawless!!! Holy Cow That's A Great Job!

·
Great!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone,
Hard work really paid off. Im really happy with the left side. The right side, hmmm...i feel like theres too much space between the fairing and the slider. But its really unnoticable since its under the slider. All i could really do after i cut the right side was shape it nicely and as round as i can. But i dint want to shave off too much plastic so i left it at that. =/ but still happy :nocontrol

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Thanks everyone,
Hard work really paid off. Im really happy with the left side. The right side, hmmm...i feel like theres too much space between the fairing and the slider. But its really unnoticable since its under the slider. All i could really do after i cut the right side was shape it nicely and as round as i can. But i dint want to shave off too much plastic so i left it at that. =/ but still happy :nocontrol
At any rate it still looks fantastic

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just got mine in today...how did you go about mocking up the semi-circles to give them such a pristine fit? Were the fairings on or off the bike during the install? And what bit did you use for your dremel?

·
WATCHOUT...I'll be back
447 Posts
The small space is not that noticable. Plus later when you start taking off fairing that space can help you a bit. When I do my oil change, I have to take my left black mid-fairing. And some times I have to take the left slider puck to get that off. I don't want to break the tabs that slides into a slot from the inside, so with the space you may have a little play taking out the fairing, instead of taking the puck out also. Look good, great job.

·
Great!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
those are short! i wonder what kind of clearence you will have if its on its side (which hopefully it never will be)
Well, its true, its pretty short. But i bought these sliders not really worrying about the plastics, can, pegs, etc. Those will be the least of my concerns, compared to the frame being totally fked up. Besides theyre "frame sliders", main purpose is to protect the frame. They had one that sticks out like half an inch more but those were for the 06-07, and when i clicked on the 08 link, it said "NOTE: The 2008 R6 come with the short universal (50-1399) pucks for racing." =/ if i could change my order, i would click on the 06-07 link. No biggie though, im glad they're on, I know that its there for its main purpose. =]

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
very clean work.looks great

·
Great!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got mine in today...how did you go about mocking up the semi-circles to give them such a pristine fit? Were the fairings on or off the bike during the install? And what bit did you use for your dremel?

I used a 3/8 inch drum sander (coarse). I put the the metal bracket on top of the fairing, in the position it would be after i drilled the hole. So i was looking at it straight ahead and traced the bracket, i knew that the puck would have to be bigger than the initial trace. After i traced it, i got my dremel and started off w/ a cut-off wheel, but that didnt work out too well, so i switched to a sand drum. I sanded off the plastic that i traced and screwed the bolt in through the bracket then put the puck on bracket. It didnt go in all the way because there was still plastic behind it. I traced the puck on the fairing while it was on the bracket. After that, i took the bolt off and used the sand drum to shave off the rest of the plastic but i stopped about a millimeter under the pencil mark, and put the puck on there again and i looked at how much more plastic i needed to shave off. Turns out that the tracing of the puck was perfect and i stopped right where i saw the mark end, put the puck on and the fit was just right. I took the puck off again, and took the dremel's sand disc (fine), i didnt use a dremel though, i used my finger to sand the edges of the cut. I didnt want to use a dremel because if i messed up one slight bit, that cut would've been ****ed up. Oh, I did it with the fairing on the bike. Good Luck! Patience is key doing this project.
Hopes this helps =]

·
Great!
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was just thinking, when i get my flushies, im gonna have to take of the fairing, and i remembered that to take off the fairing it has to slide forward the pull upwards. I dont think It'll be able to work if i leave the slider puck in there. I might have to take the puck off.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
I was just thinking, when i get my flushies, im gonna have to take of the fairing, and i remembered that to take off the fairing it has to slide forward the pull upwards. I dont think It'll be able to work if i leave the slider puck in there. I might have to take the puck off.
dsshdogg pointed that out a few posts above. It shouldn't be too hard, though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Actually I didn't have to take my fairings off at all to install my hotbodies flushmounts on my 08

·
Registered
97 Posts
IMO the dremel is the BEST way to cut the hole. I have woodcrafts too but I have a cbr 600 where the fairings need to be cut all the way unlike your r6. I could have used a big hole maker (thats actually what its called lol) but that makes one big hole and its usually bigger than whats needed. A dremel, although it wont make a perfect circle, will allow for a more tight fit.

I love my woodcrafts though. They barely stick out (1 inch) but its ok...good quality stuff

1 - 20 of 25 Posts