Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys im looking to change my 07 over to GP shifting just to try it and see if i like it. how is it done? ive heard its very easy. do i just have to flip the rod 180 degrees at the top where it connects to the transmission? or is there something else?

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
i think so, its winter and i have only got probably an hour on it in the last month but i will never have anything else. SHifting under power and quick acceleration is better then sex... Having to hit the shifter down just feels so right... COuld be me, but i am VERY happy with it...

·
Forum Moderator
3,098 Posts
You'll like it much better. I swapped mine while doing an oil and filter change and never realized I put the shifter back on flipped over. After I rode it I soon found out I had GP shifting. That was almost two years ago. I've never gone back.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys... i think i have to cut a little off of my lower fairing to get enough space for the rod to clear... is that true?

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
358 Posts
You don't have to cut anything. Loosen the bolt holding the top of the rod all the way till it is out. Then the rod will slide right out. if the bolt is in there it will seem like it is impossible to move. Just remember that it will now be 1 up 5 down. take it slow at first cause it takes some time getting used to if you are used to regular shifting.

·
Riding his own ride...
4,723 Posts
It will take a little getting use to, but once you give it a few weeks you'll most likely love it. Most who do the change swear by it. It's the first mod I ever do to a bike now. Didn't put one mile on the new gsxr before we made it reverse/gp shifting :) Just give it a good 2-3 week trial before you make up your mind.

·
Everyday I'm hustle'n.
294 Posts
What is gp shifting and can someone who really isn't too mechanical do it himself? What is the benefit of it compared to stock and finally how quick and easy is it to do?

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
358 Posts
GP shifting is the reverse of regular shifting. Regular shifting from Neutral is 1 down (1st gear) 5 up (2nd - 6th gear). GP shifting from Neutral is 1 up (1st gear) 5 down (2nd - 6th gear). If you can unscrew a bolt you can do it to your bike. The rod (in front of your oil filter) from your shift lever just needs to be flipped. You just undo the bolt. and flip the rod to the opposite side and retighten. You don't have to remove any plastics and it takes about 1 minute to do.

i believe the reason for the gp shift to to help during high-speed left hand turns. with the gp shift, you can still upshift as you are exiting the turn while still in the lean, without having to wedge your foot under the shifter. this way you just step on the shifter and go...

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
NE03r6 said:
thanks guys... i think i have to cut a little off of my lower fairing to get enough space for the rod to clear... is that true?
NO! All you have to do, is unbolt the shifter rod from the tranny, and flip it 180 degrees. Then, put 2-3 washers behond the bottom fairing bolt to help the shift rod clear the fairings.

End result, much better shifts!

·
Registered
124 Posts
ohh i didnt think about that 2 washer on the fairing bolt... good idea, but does it really touch the fairing? havent checked mine...

·
Done Been Pimpn
73 Posts
Just did mine. It took oh about a total of 5 min. Real easy! No washers needed.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
Mine did, and so has others. My shift rod was rubbing the fairing.

Im sure it can be done on the older years, you might have to sarch for it though

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i just did it... havent got to ride it yet though due to my bike being torn apart but put it together enough that i can maybe take it for a little ride tomorrow!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts