Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
iRun
33,252 Posts
I had about a 3.6 in high school, a 3.1 in college and working with a 3.2 in grad school.

Oh, the tire. Unless the profile from what you had before is drastically different than what you've got now, I'd run it and see how it feels.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had about a 3.6 in high school, a 3.1 in college and working with a 3.2 in grad school.

Oh, the tire. Unless the profile from what you had before is drastically different than what you've got now, I'd run it and see how it feels.

Haha!!!

I'm just stepping up to a 190. I wasn't expecting much difference. I just don't want to find out the hard way.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
198 Posts
You don't need to get the sag set again, possibly a ride height adjustment depending on size you go with. I've heard it is pretty difficult to get GPAs dialed in with stock suspension.

·
Reads the rulez
2,250 Posts
Before the same pissing match occurs for the 14 billionth time on here, I'll summarize for you.

The GPA's will not grip as well as the Pirelli Super Corsa's or the Michelin cups. They are also not nearly as expensive. Everyone's budget is different, and the 211GPA is a nice step up from a Q2/3. So if you can find cheap take offs, and your pace doesn't justify a set of $400+ tires, then by all means it's a great next step.

That being said, remove the shock spacer tab. That will put you in the ball park for ride height in the rear. Can't get it perfect since the OEM one is not ride height adjustable.

·
Mr. HER6
2,079 Posts
No special tools other than a way to support the bike on something other than the swingarm, like setting the rearsets on jackstands. Then lift the tank and put a big socket on the nut that holds the clevis (upper shock mounting bracket) to the frame. Drop the clevis down to get the spacer out then re-assemble. You'll probably have to undo one of the shock mounting points too, just to make some space to move things.

·
iRun
33,252 Posts

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,700 Posts
I recently had my bike set up my the "Thermos Man" and I cod definitely tell at the last track day. I've decided to run GPA's, and I was wondering if I need to get it set up again.

as some mentioned, this gpa thing has been discussed MANY times.

But did you get Thermosman's opinion on the GPA ? or are you deciding to run them after he set the bike up.. I would ask him what his opinion is of the gpa vs. the other race tires, like Pirelli or michelin. He tunes my suspension, has for 10 years. I won't get involved in this discussion other than to tell you to ask him, as i know what the answer will likely be in regard to those AMA spec tires, and why you would run them if you are not in the ama competing against other riders at least forced to be on the same tire.

·
Reads the rulez
2,250 Posts
:laugh famous last words.

Have a 6-pack handy.
No shit. I wanted to punch kittens in the face repeatedly out of frustration the first time I dropped the shock. OEM bodywork/exhaust sure as hell didn't help either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought this would be a fairly simple question to get answered. So I didn't really think to ask him. If everything horas as planned I'll the suspension done by summer. I got the takeoffs super cheap when I sold my 08. I haven't really thought about running a race tire until I got those. I might just keep running the Q3's. I just thought it'd be fun to see what they feel like. Seems like plenty of people run them. I'll definitely give him a call tomorrow and find out for sure.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.