Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I looked and cant seem to find this answer.

Doubt my existing chain for the -1/+1 setup will work for the the 3 extra teeth....or will it? The rear wheel sits back a good ways.

Generally how many links do I need for a -1/+4 set up/

I am willing to sacrifice top end for the low to mid torque.

if 52 is overkill is 51 the safest best or will 50 be a night and day difference from a 49 in terms of torque? Not looking to stunt full time just want to pull the front wheel up with as little ease as possible whenever I want. Right now the -1/+1 (490 isnt doing it for me.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
I think you need to create a few more threads about gearing, you don't have enough yet...

·
Registered
484 Posts
-1/+4 is almost the same as 0/+1
You are making this way more complicated than it needs to be.
????

More like 0/+7

I just put on a -1/+4, took out two links from a 120 chain and my axle is about dead center in the adjustment range with a generous amount of slack.

Edit: mine is for an R6R 2008, you might want to mention what model you have. This is also strictly for the track on my bike, riding around town it might be a little annoying to shift so often and try to find the right gear, etc.

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Why not run a 14 up front then?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I already told him to go -2/+1....:laugh

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had searched as everyone recommends befoer posting, and the consensus was to not go more than -1 on the front because it is bad on the chain for lack of technical reasoning. I ended up going with a 51 from a 49 - already down 1 on the front with a 520.

Sorry I am posting so much just trying to learn and not make any more mistakes or spend extra money than I shouldnt based on yalls experiences. Dont worry I am just about done :)

·
Build, Go fast...Repeat!
16 Posts
I've heard that as well. It was explained to me that the smaller diameter the sprocket the more friction builds and puts excessive heat to the chain kinda how rotors build heat and wear out pads. I would not recommend going any farther than -1 on the front sprocket because of this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts