Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a GPS lap timer.... which do you use? Any recommendations to buy/avoid?

My race group did awesome with a live timing system last year, but they don't have the resources to keep it up and running again this year :( - so I need something accurate that I can plug in different tracks and get results on a button-press.

I'm thinking of the Starlane GPS3 Stealth or something from Qstarz. Starlane is the nicest of what I'm considering: http://www.petes-superbike.com/english/stealth-gps-lap-timer-with-track-mapping.html

The Q1000 is nice, cheap and compact but you can't view any data, you need a computer for it.
http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/BT-Q1000EX-10HZ-F.html

The Q6000 does what I want but it seems a bit bulky:

http://www.qstarz.com/Products/GPS Products/LT-Q6000-F.html

I just need a basic GPS timer... don't want to worry about IR sources and additional pieces, and don't want to spend $1,000 either :p

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts
Yeah, Anthony (chiefsmokedawg) carries lap timers and Bauce Racing has outstanding prices and even better customer service! I plan on picking up my lap timer from him very soon!

Contact him and he'll get you all squared away!

:cheers

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have tried a few android apps...spotty if you dont have service or an attached gps....I have and vend the Qstarz products....while yes you have to hook up to a PC to view your stats, it have a great desktop which shows laps, fastest lap, g force, top speed,ave speed and depending on markers fastest and slowest sections.

for the price Retail $199 its the best for what you get. Qstarz now only has the 10Hz unit meaning it takes a reading 10x a second

PM's sent

·
176 Posts
Not sure what your after as a timing system...

I have used qstarz 5mhz gps timer for 2 years and it works great. Most of the other GPS lap timers last year were all 5mhz, so, they can only be accurate to +- .02 because of the sample rate. The best bang for the buck is the 10hz Qstarz, but it has no display so you have to download the info to get your lap times between sessions... not a big deal but if you want a display while your on the track you need to spend some money to get something good. Just how it works with gps.

If you just want lap times get a used xt timer.

·
Track=Cocaine
13,523 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
"So sick!" :lmao

Good shit!

I'll be in the market for something soon, pretty sure my man Ant already has something in stock, set aside for me... :sing

Bauce Racing FTW!

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
no way i can afford the gpx though. even at my dealer cost. :fact
:stupic

They are offering me $200 towards the new model GPX with trade in on my old one. Even then it's way too steep for me right now. Although I love new technology. At least they made the GPX 4 which is semi affordable now for those like me just looking to monitor a handful of things. Same functionality as mine, but less ports on it and no display issues like the old model has/had

·
My R6 is trouble.
950 Posts
I saw a video somewhere of a guy at Pahrump using a Contour cam w/ GPS and there's this program you can download for your computer that will use the camera's data to create an overlay onto your video, not a lap timer, but same function and it integrates with your video, I was thinking about going for this setup because I don't have a camera, so it would kill two birds with one stone, anyone have experience with these? (sorry if I thread jacked, just trying to get more options out there and get an opinion)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Parts Pimp
26,461 Posts
I love my GPX Pro. Wish I knew what to do with the potentiometer data. :D
:laugh the Ttx is predrilled for one. Had it on order and nobody knows how to read that data. Cancelled that purchase. Lmao

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you guys have an Iphone, check out Harry's lap timer at this site:
http://www.gps-laptimer.de/Home.html

Easily the most inexpensive option out there.

I tried it the first time a few weeks ago:
http://youtu.be/Ghu2vqo6-yQ
video was a bit shaky that's because I didn't have the proper mount. I just got a new mount and will try it out again in a few days. Hopefully get better quality vids.

·
www.1seven1.com
2,064 Posts
:laugh the Ttx is predrilled for one. Had it on order and nobody knows how to read that data. Cancelled that purchase. Lmao
Exactly. At WSBK I had a time set aside to sit down with THE Magneti Marelli guy and review some racer date, but got pulled away and couldn't make it. So lame. :dunce:

·
Registered
302 Posts
so if you get like an XT receiver, does you need to get a transmitter or can you use someone else's transmitter at the track? lots of people are just selling the receiver so I wonder if it is necessary to get both.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts