Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 (cheap, yet good) and have been looking for a way to mount it. I bought a thin metal plate from my hardware store & thought I would mount it by bending the plate, drilling some holes & attaching it to the 2 screws that hold my tank down. But it will be more of a pain in the ass than I feel like dealing with. I searched the internet for motorcycle GPS mounts & mostly found RAM mounts but for my GPS they only had handlebar mounts (which won't fit on my handlebars). After doing a lot of searching I think I finally found the solution... http://www.techmounts.com/index.php
They're a bit pricey ($65 for the one I want) but I think it'll be worth it. The only thing I'm concerned with is the vibrations damaging the GPS.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think I found a cheaper alternative. Earlier I didn't know how the RAM mounts would fit on the handlebars but I think I understand it now. They fit over the 2 bolts for the hand break:
http://home.comcast.net/~allamerican00/FileStorage/handlebar.jpg

And end up looking like this:
http://www.ram-mount.com/index_files/ramb174ga24.jpg

Though I'm going to get the short arm so it doesn't stick up so much. And the balls that the arm attaches to are rubber to help reduce vibrations to the GPS. I'm going to purchase & attach it when I get back home and I'll take pics. On vacation in Florida with my girl right now :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Def post some pics once you get it mounted I want to see how it looks and whether it is protected inside the windscreen. I'm afraid of my Garmin blowing away.

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
http://www.radarbusters.com/motorcycle-radar-detectors/motorcycle-mounts/motorcyclestemmount13mm.cfm
this is what i ordered a few days ago and cheaper than what you found.
ill post up some pics when i get it
heres a "how to" i wrote up when i did mine. when i use it works great!!!!
http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61391&highlight=garmin+mount
The only thing I would worry about with those is the vibrations damaging the GPS. The GPS I got wasn't made for it. The mount I found uses rubber balls to connect the mount to the GPS which reduce the vibrations sent to the GPS.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I finally got the mount in the mail. Took a few pictures, here's what it looks like.

Also, if I get another 1" rubber ball mount, I'll be able to put it in the middle of the mount instead on the top & lower it a bit & get it below the windscreen. Not that I'm worried about it flying off or anything. I just want it as steady as possible. I got the whole thing for about $55.

Attachments

·
Super MOD
4,915 Posts
Well, I finally got the mount in the mail. Took a few pictures, here's what it looks like.

Also, if I get another 1" rubber ball mount, I'll be able to put it in the middle of the mount instead on the top & lower it a bit & get it below the windscreen. Not that I'm worried about it flying off or anything. I just want it as steady as possible. I got the whole thing for about $55.

so Mike tells me ur g/f isnt letting you go to bike week? thats beat doode

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so Mike tells me ur g/f isnt letting you go to bike week? thats beat doode
I don't know where Mike gets his info. I got drill that weekend. Even if I didn't, not sure if I could afford it. My gf and I just got back from a week-long Florida vacation.

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,111 Posts
nice job. looks good bro!

I don't know where Mike gets his info. I got drill that weekend. Even if I didn't, not sure if I could afford it. My gf and I just got back from a week-long Florida vacation.
sounds like fun........ what part of FL did you guys go?

my wife and i are going to traesure island near st pertersburg, FL. in 2 weeks for our wedding aniversery....:cheers: should be fun.

her b-day is sunday and our mini vacation starts at 1pm tomorrow in ATLANTIC CITY for the holiday weekend!!!!!! :D:party

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am currently making a mount for my 05. I have the Garmin 200w. My mount will consist of a piece of rubber stock that will slip down into the steering stem, When tightened it will expand in the shaft to create a firm hold, With it being rubber I hope it will take care of some of the vibration. On the top of the rubber stock I will mount a 17mm ball with a piece of all thread that will run through the rubber stock. I will be able to snap the factory garmin cradle to the ball. I am also trying to find a way to attatch a lanyard from the GPS to the bike (just in case) I will post pics when it is done. Hopefully I can work on it this weekend. If anyone has any ideas I am open to all suggestions.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds like fun........ what part of FL did you guys go?

my wife and i are going to traesure island near st pertersburg, FL. in 2 weeks for our wedding aniversery....:cheers: should be fun.

her b-day is sunday and our mini vacation starts at 1pm tomorrow in ATLANTIC CITY for the holiday weekend!!!!!! :D:party
:lmao My grandparents live in Treasure Island and that's where we stayed for 4 days of our vacation. make sure you hit up John's Pass. Lots of cool stuff there. The other 4 days we stayed on MacDill AFB in Tampa for some alone time, aka :hump

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am currently making a mount for my 05. I have the Garmin 200w. My mount will consist of a piece of rubber stock that will slip down into the steering stem, When tightened it will expand in the shaft to create a firm hold, With it being rubber I hope it will take care of some of the vibration. On the top of the rubber stock I will mount a 17mm ball with a piece of all thread that will run through the rubber stock. I will be able to snap the factory garmin cradle to the ball. I am also trying to find a way to attatch a lanyard from the GPS to the bike (just in case) I will post pics when it is done. Hopefully I can work on it this weekend. If anyone has any ideas I am open to all suggestions.
Sounds good. I was originally gonna make my own, but I got lazy and decided to buy a mount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts