Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have an issue that I am hoping the collective here will be able to help with.

I am having real problems launching my new R6, so much so that I decided to start from the back of the grid rather than end up at the back anyhow or worst get collected on the start.

I have a Sigma slipper clutch installed (which I love) but looking on their website they say it can be too grabby with standard plates for full on race launches. They recommend YEC Clutch Kits, which I am struggling to find in the UK. Anyone else ever have this grab problem, preferably with the same set up, and found a non YEC clutch kit solution?

Cheers in advance

Garf

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
what bike...

oem clutche packs are ideal, but i have never bothered with aftermarket slipper clutches (didnt' have one on my 2nd gen race bikes). there is zero need for yec stuff here. Use 3 fingers on the clutch lever to launch your bike, 10-11k rpm. Maybe seek some further advice in the "drag race" section.. practice makes perfect, but some riders will just have a better feel for this.

·
wat?
722 Posts
First -- have you tried launching an R6 with the stock slipper clutch to confirm that your issue is the Sigma and not your technique? The R6 has an extremely short clutch engagement and so the range of nothing->slip->full engagement takes some practice to modulate effectively. Plenty of people complain about it (with the stock slipper) coming from other bikes and it takes some getting used to. If the bike is new to you, I'd consider giving it some time before spending $$ on YEC springs/clutch plates.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts
make sure your cable is properly adjusted (near clutch cover) and is lubed well.

With a stock slipper you really only have 1 shot at getting a good launch. I have tilted the bike to the right to allow some oil from the sump to get on the clutch pack before hot lap dragstrip passes. Just make sure you are leaving at or above peak torque. :D

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
Quick update (if a bit late)

I swapped the plates for the YEC ones, and this completely cured the issue.

Bring on the races this weekend!!!
interesting.. and thanks for update. With that aftermarket slipper, yec clutch pack is needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts