1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Damn that is s good deal.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Any idea if they are made in China or made in the USA? I don't really like using Chinese anything on an impact wrench.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Craftsman should all be made in USA
quite a bit of craftsman hand tools been made in china for a couple of years.

Go to your local sears and look. Hell, just look at some of the reviews on the product from the link given.

I purchased these many years ago when they were USA made. They are very good quality and have held up well. I wish they were thinner walled on the smaller sizes but for the price you can't go wrong with the USA ones. I'm not sure how the "new china" made ones will hold up! Hope I never have to warranty mine any time soon! :-(
The deep socket impact sockets seem to be reasonably good for a Chinese-manufactured product. The price was good, but the price for most Chinese items is good compared to much better quality USA-made products.
Made in China stuff with the Craftsman name on it. I do not care that it still has a warranty, it is a disgrace that apparently more and more craftsman labeled tools are beign made Oversea's. Furthermore, for being made oversea's, It is still priced to the consumer as if it was top notch American made!
Craftsman hand tools being made in China is a big reason I have quit buying their products.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Tis true they went over seas for a lot of tools

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Yeah, that's china made.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
For 40 bucks and a lifetime warranty that's a good deal regardless where they are made.
Unless they fubar a fastener without getting it out and then leave you with a problem....

Honestly, I got my set of impact sockets from a pawn shop. They are 70s Snap-On ones and cost me $10 for the whole set. Used them LOTS of times and still in great shape. You can score some pretty awesome deals at the pawn shops, guys...

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Never been more relevant:

Perhaps your buddy is an expert on kissing my ass, he could help you out in that department too. ;)

:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
also...

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
When you use tools everyday you realize cheap stuff is just cheap. When a poorly made socket rounds off a bolt that's time and money wasted.
For just around the house and not much use these are a good deal imo.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
DOes anyone actually have any proof or first hand experience that the impact sockets from China are garbage? Or is this typical internet "oh it's made here it must be shit". Have you SEEN the typical work ethic of an American worker?!

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
DOes anyone actually have any proof or first hand experience that the impact sockets from China are garbage? Or is this typical internet "oh it's made here it must be shit". Have you SEEN the typical work ethic of an American worker?!
So what you're saying is that someone making $0.50 a day with a gun to their head has more motivation to not fcuk up than someone making $8.00/hr with no real expectation of performance or fear of losing their job.... Makes sense. :laugh

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
I don't have proof of the impact sockets being garbage, but I have had two of the Craftsman sockets I bought literally break into pieces the first time I was using them with a breaker bar. One scratched the hell out of the rim inside the lug nut hole on my truck when the first one happened. Both were chinese. Since then, I looked through the old box of sockets my grandpa left me when he died. Found the same sized ones that were American made. They have been used several times since then, and never had an issue.

In my opinion, I think the quality of the steel is lower. There really isn't much work that the person actually does. Even though everything may be sized perfectly, if the steel is junk, the whole thing is junk. After having a chinese one split on my truck and a chinese one split on my dad's truck, I just don't trust the chinese made sockets. The only good thing I can say about the experience is that they were willing to stand behind the lifetime warranty.

Take a look at the manufacturing process of Snap-On
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtcYB-mW6i0

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Yes. Idk if it's cheaper material or poor machinist. Over time the socket gets loose and will start messing up bolt heads Unlike our old craftsman or snap on sets.

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
They aren't garbage exactly they just don't last as long or fit as good.

·
I have 2 belly buttons.
1,951 Posts
So what you're saying is that someone making $0.50 a day with a gun to their head has more motivation to not fcuk up than someone making $8.00/hr with no real expectation of performance or fear of losing their job.... Makes sense. :laugh
I personally use harbor freight impact sockets at work everyday as a heavy industrial mechanic. Now unless you use them in the frequency that I do then I don't see your logic in this conversation. Most tools are all manufactured in the same plant then the rejects get thrown down to other companies for slight blemishes and such. I have had ZERO problems with any of my impact sockets and I have been through a couple sets as I'm always loosing them.

I speak on this ONLY for impact sockets. Harbor Freight wrenches SUCK. I would buy those sockets in a second if I needed a set.

I'm with High-side on this one.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts