Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thoroughly pissed at the moment....

rode to work (like i do everyday) with no problems. from the time i went to work to the time i came home, a pothole approximately 2.5 feet wide and 8 or 10 inches deep developed on the road between my house and work. now this wouldn't be a problem at all except that it happened to develop at a place in the road that commonly has approximately 1 inch of water on it and was completely submerged. so instead of the slight splash that usually occurs, my bike just stopped and i continued 5 or 8 feet, landing on my elbows and head. i was wearing my helmet and gear, so no real injuries, but the bike's pretty much mangled. horribly bent front rim, left side pretty much demolished. shifter bent/gone and left mirror destroyed.

called insurance today and they'll fix it "no fault collision" style (i just pay deductible, no rate increase), but i won't get it back until the end of august :(

sorry for the bitching, just a little upset right now

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bike shop around here (cedar rapids, ia) had to move. not sure if it had to do with the flood or not, but they're not moving until next month, so they can't provide me with an estimate until next month, hence the insurance company can't provide me with an approved amount of repair until next month, then they said expect 3-4 weeks for parts to arrive and another week or so of labor :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the next-closest bike shop is in iowa city... which got flooded just as bad as us :(... so ... long story short, most likely not.

i feel kinda selfish bitching about my insurance woes with all the people around here out of homes and businesses, but damnit... i waited every second of the record setting winter to get it back out and now i don't even have it for the summer! i will certainly keep all the flood victims in my prayers, i know i have it easy compared to some

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your in Cedar Rapids, theres got to be atleast four dealers around you. Iowa City isn't far away. I would flip if I had to wait until August to ride. You also ride it to work everyday. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/dealers/dealerhome/home.aspx Do a search of what other shops are around.

Your not an Iowa Cockeyes fan are you?

Edit- Damn ninjas!
1) there USED to be 4 around here. 1 store bought all the other ones out and successfully moved their entire operations into one mega-store, so i'm at the mercy of that one mega-store now.

2) with the condition and traffic that's on 380 right now (the only way to get to iowa city right now), i'm very hesitant to be hauling a bike there for a hit-or-miss chance that they could get it in sooner.

3) Nope. Not a Hawkeye's fan. Born HUSKER for life. :)

·
$4 a gal. 4 gal. a shot
933 Posts
Sorry about he Husker fan thing.

More sorry to hear about the bike, things are really messed up around here right now. Just glad you are OK. McGrath is moving there shop, that is why they are backed up. I have had very good luck with Iowa City Motorsports and they are out of the flood area. I would call them and get an ETA from them. With I380 reopened getting isn't a problem anymore.

Sucks about downtown though.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Yeah you guys got hit hard haha. I'm in ames and we got it pretty good but not like you or des moines.

Thats no good...You should try to get it done at a dealer in des moines or somethin, theres tons of em. Just throw her in the back of a truck and drive over!

·
UnZUnDUnR
1,004 Posts
Could'nt you could file a claim with the county & try to get some compensation for the damages on the bike.The state or county is partly responsible.Since the need to maintain the roads.Tell your insurer that the bike is your only mode of transportation & you need it back ASAP.Maybe this will motivate them to get the bike into a shop that is open for business or they can provide you a loaner bike(cheaper on gas) instead of a loaner car!

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Could'nt you could file a claim with the county & try to get some compensation for the damages on the bike.
I was thinkin the same thing but forgot to include it in my post...I still vote for goin to another dealer to get it back quicker!

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Could'nt you could file a claim with the county & try to get some compensation for the damages on the bike.The state or county is partly responsible.Since the need to maintain the roads.Tell your insurer that the bike is your only mode of transportation & you need it back ASAP.Maybe this will motivate them to get the bike into a shop that is open for business or they can provide you a loaner bike(cheaper on gas) instead of a loaner car!
Considering that the flood is an unforseen event the county cannot be held responsible for damages. This would just eat up a lot of money and this case would probably be dismissed.

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
sry to hear about the bike glad ur ok though now u can add those upgrades u wanted though :)

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
Where I live, if the roads cause damage to your vehicle, the county will pay for it to be repaired. You should look into that to get your deductible refunded and hopefully your gear replaced.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Where I live, if the roads cause damage to your vehicle, the county will pay for it to be repaired. You should look into that to get your deductible refunded and hopefully your gear replaced.

Under normal circuimstances, I would, but it seems as though all the city/county/state money is being tied up in flood repair. The police are under orders not to report to any robery or other minor infractions called in right now, so I don't think the city would give 2 sh*ts about my broken bike. I spose' if I wanted to wait until this all end (maybe a year from now) to get it fixed, I'd have a better shot, but that just isn't gonna happen.

I think I may look into the condition of 380 and see about Iowa City Motor Sports, I get more bummed out every day I can't ride :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts