Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
What for? They aren't any better than the R6 calipers.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The new Brembo monoblocs are supposed to be awesome off the gixxers... They are the poor mans brembo monobloc. They go for a LOT more money than the R6 calipers right now... The pair of calipers alone is like $200 minimum. I can get a whole r6 system for $150 all day with stainless lines.

Its like swapping on the 1098S stuff onto the regular 1098 or 848. Nice little upgrade.

Im looking at doing this exact swap on my track bike.

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Thats one of the first things my gixxer buddies say to me about my bike is my brakes. How much better they feel and how much quicker it stops. Guess im used to them as i didnt think they were that great. Until i got on a gixxer. Good god awful

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Is it a direct swap and where would you purchase these?
They are direct swap for 108mm center spacing applications, so basically all the jap bikes except the R1 after like 06 with the 6 pistons, as those are 127mm. Ebay has them all day. I think its 2011+ gixxers.
Thats one of the first things my gixxer buddies say to me about my bike is my brakes. How much better they feel and how much quicker it stops. Guess im used to them as i didnt think they were that great. Until i got on a gixxer. Good god awful
Old gixxer brakes, maybe, but the new ones are pretty decent and easily comparable to the R6 stuff, maybe even better. The 2011+ stuff has good rep and the cost to back it up.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
That means I have to buy another set of brake lines, huh?
not necessarily. Depends on the fitting size and banjo thread, but I would think they are probably the same size and thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Funny, I thought my previous CBR had better brakes than my current R6. But I think pads may have been swapped for a really hard compound. Seems like they suck for street riding but they're better when in twistes and really pushing them.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
The new Brembo monoblocs are supposed to be awesome off the gixxers... They are the poor mans brembo monobloc. They go for a LOT more money than the R6 calipers right now... The pair of calipers alone is like $200 minimum. I can get a whole r6 system for $150 all day with stainless lines.

Its like swapping on the 1098S stuff onto the regular 1098 or 848. Nice little upgrade.

Im looking at doing this exact swap on my track bike.
Oh, that makes sense. The going rate for the gixxer calipers is more, so they have to to better.

Seems logical.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Oh, that makes sense. The going rate for the gixxer calipers is more, so they have to to better.

Seems logical.
And the fact that they are Brembo monoblocs is purely not related to the price.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
And the fact that they are Brembo monoblocs is purely not related to the price.
And also not related is the fact that millions of kool-aid drinkers think that just because it has "brembo" stamped on the side, it instantly makes it better, whether it's actually better or not.

Let me guess, you also think the "Ohlins" suspension on the "S" models Ducati's is way better than the base model Ducati suspension?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
And also not related is the fact that millions of kool-aid drinkers think that just because it has "brembo" stamped on the side, it instantly makes it better, whether it's actually better or not.

Let me guess, you also think the "Ohlins" suspension on the "S" models Ducati's is way better than the base model Ducati suspension?
Ive ridden both, and while the difference isnt huge, it is certainly better than the base model showa stuff. No, its not TTX/NIX30, but its better than the Showa. Not sure how that is even up for debate. And Ive ridden the Ducati equivalent of these calipers on the S models, and the base brembos on my 848, and the S calipers are maybe a little more powerful, but the feel is better. Better enough to make me spend $400 on S calipers? No. The stock ones are adequate and on par with the stock R6 stuff.

For R6 people, its probably not a big difference, if any, but if you came off of something else, especially with older model 108mm center spacing like the Tokicos on my 636, it makes a lot of difference in feel and power. Same reason those same people look at the r6 calipers, zx10 calipers, etc.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
The Tokico calipers on the Kawi's are by far the shittiest calipers known to man kind. I'm fairly certain Fred Flinstone brakes are better. Using the later model ZX10 calipers, or the Nissin's, R6 calipers, etc are a huge upgrade. That's not really even a debate if you've ridden both. :lmao

The first upgrade anyone should do to their brakes is better brake pads. That will by far make the biggest difference. Throw on a set of SS brake lines, and you don't have to upgrade shit on your '06+ R6.

By all means, you can waste money on the lowest quality grade Brembo calipers ever made from the gixxer, but you're just wasting money and time for a useless "upgrade".

I'm sure many beginner group track day hero's are sure to get butt hurt about my opinion and tell me how awesome their $2,000+ top of the line Brembo braking system is the shit. :bowroll

I don't drink the "Well he runs it, so I have to run it" kool-aid much, but I don't know of many racers on the R6 forum faster than Melk-Man...and last I read about his bike, he's still rocking the OEM master/OEM calipers. And I'm willing to bet he can outbrake most all of us...so that sure as hell tells me that my brakes aren't the root of my inability to adequately use my brakes... ;)

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
The Tokico calipers on the Kawi's are by far the shittiest calipers known to man kind. I'm fairly certain Fred Flinstone brakes are better. Using the later model ZX10 calipers, or the Nissin's, R6 calipers, etc are a huge upgrade. That's not really even a debate if you've ridden both. :lmao

The first upgrade anyone should do to their brakes is better brake pads. That will by far make the biggest difference. Throw on a set of SS brake lines, and you don't have to upgrade shit on your '06+ R6.

By all means, you can waste money on the lowest quality grade Brembo calipers ever made from the gixxer, but you're just wasting money and time for a useless "upgrade".

I'm sure many beginner group track day hero's are sure to get butt hurt about my opinion and tell me how awesome their $2,000+ top of the line Brembo braking system is the shit. :bowroll

I don't drink the "Well he runs it, so I have to run it" kool-aid much, but I don't know of many racers on the R6 forum faster than Melk-Man...and last I read about his bike, he's still rocking the OEM master/OEM calipers. And I'm willing to bet he can outbrake most all of us...so that sure as hell tells me that my brakes aren't the root of my inability to adequately use my brakes... ;)
Like I said, I have Tokicos, hence my interest....:laugh

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

Like I said, I have Tokicos, hence my interest....:laugh And I already have pads, lines, and better fluid. They just have a really blah, wooden, almost spongy feel. Between the calipers and the crappy OEM master cylinder, there is power, or at least enough, but the feel is non-existent.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts