Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Addicted...
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking for some guidance with the gearing on my bike. I ride an 08 R6,
Ive got a few things done to it(full Yoshi system, KN filter, PCIII,). I love the bike, but like most I want more Power in lower RPMs. I've been doing a lot of research to see what my options are, and from what I have found is changing out the sprockets is the next logical step. I know this topic has been discussed quite a lot, and Id appreciate some actual real world advice instead of just telling me to use the search button;-)
What I would like to know, first of all is changing from the stock 525 chain to a 520 beneficial? My bike just turned 7000 miles so my chain is in pretty good shape so I wasn't sure if I should upgrade to the 520 or not, I don't know enough about it to make that call yet.
Second, it seems that a lot of people like the 15/50 swap... Is that a good place to start or should I go with a different tooth count combination? I don't want a wheelie machine, just a big improvement on the low end acceleration.
Another question is, what is a good brand of chain/sprockets to go with?
I really appreciate any advice you guys could give me, I just want to do it the right way!
Thanks in advance!
Jared
Oh and one more thing, I was told that the stock sprockets are 16/45, is that correct?

·
make the snow go away!!
215 Posts
15/47 is all you need to go unless you plan on stunting. Too me that's even a little much. And there is a good write up on here about unsprung weight. Read that and you make the decision about going to 520. Besides the performance difference, a lot of people use 520 for the sprocket size options that you can easily find for it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
-1+2 15/47
520 has no benefits on the street. Steel last longer
Renthal, driven, supersprox, vortex. Rk gxw chain

Gearingcommander.com

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
You want more power lower in the RPM's? Buy a V-twin. Gearing isn't going to give you any lower end power.

·
Addicted...
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. And I guess I have to correct myself... Obviously changing the gearing isn't going to give me more power, I meant to say I am looking for stronger acceleration;-)

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
72 tooth rear FTW!

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,308 Posts
There is not much difference in weight between a 525 and a 520 chain...some, but not much. The biggest advantage for you would be the availability of the 520 chain and sprockets. They will be much easier to find and prices will be better.

For a 1st or second gen bike (99-01 R6, 03-05 R6, and 06-09 R6S) there is much more difference in weight between a 520 and the stock 532 chains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts