Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
07 Charcoal R6
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im scared to death when i try to lean in the corner.... i've only been riding for about 6 months now and i just cant do it!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Experience. You'll get use to it as time goes on. Just keep riding, and getting comfortable with your bike. Learn to know it's limits, and you'll be able to know your own.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Like speedfreak said just practice..Dont ride over your head.

Your body naturally wants to be vertical or horazontal..you pretty much gotta retrain ur mind to know nothing will happen well leaning over.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
+1 more practice, your gonna learn that countersteering your bike, will help you "dive" into a turn and lean the bike with speed.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
yeah ... I say ummmm.............

Put more miles on your bike. The more you ride the more comfortable you become. Don't push yourself to "get a knee down" if it's gonna happen, I just will. The one's who go beyond their limits are the ones you read about goin down... Don't be THAT guy. Just take your time and put in some miles.

Ride Safe Bro!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Another option might be to do a race school. They will have people there that would be able to help you. You will have a save enviroment to over come your fear.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
If your not feeling comfortable you might not be in the proper riding position. You might want to try a trackday as they have lots of instructors that will help you feel more confident and get you in the correct riding position.

What part of Texas do you live in? We are very fortunate that we have 5 trackday orgs that operate in Texas. Let me know I will help you find a trackday that fits your needs.

Also how many miles do you have under your belt?

·
Ride for you, not others.
229 Posts
hey guys, im scared to death when i try to lean in the corner.... i've only been riding for about 6 months now and i just cant do it!
Are you afraid to lean in general or are you trying to drag knee? Either way, if you are afraid it may be your vision. If you are looking at the ground the sense of speed seems faster than it is. Try looking farther up the road and things will slow down for you. I know it seems simple but trust me, a little thing like how far you are looking makes a big difference when it comes to judging your speed on corner entry.

·
Dragging Knee
1,604 Posts
Are you afraid to lean in general or are you trying to drag knee? Either way, if you are afraid it may be your vision. If you are looking at the ground the sense of speed seems faster than it is. Try looking farther up the road and things will slow down for you. I know it seems simple but trust me, a little thing like how far you are looking makes a big difference when it comes to judging your speed on corner entry.
+100

Also when cornering make sure to put your footpegs right between the balls of your feet and your toes. It makes cornering feel so much better.

Also be sure to if you are trying to kiss the mirror of the direction you are turning this will also help you feel more comfortable when turning. So if you are going left move your head towards the left mirror.

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
I'm sure I'm repeating a lot of responses here but this is what I suggest as someone who just completed his first year of riding...

1) gear up
2) ride ride ride
3) Read Twist of the wrist I and II
4) practice ^^
5) track day or racing school
6) ride ride ride

You'll get there :)

·
Registered
448 Posts
Like everyone else says, keep riding. Ride at your own pace. Find a backroad that has alot of low speed shard twisty curves and ride that road alot. Get to know all the curves and have fun getting into the corners and comfortable speeds. Eventually you will find your speed increasing throught the curves thus your lean angles will increase and your comfort level as well. Just relax and have fun.

·
07 Charcoal R6
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1+ for the leather, i really need to invest in that type of jacket, the only reason i got mesh was cuz here in texas it gets extremely hot in the summer.

when i start to lean "harder" my stomach feels like my bike is going to just tip over, i've been watching those moto gp videos and some of the guys just lean then fall going 60+ mph.... THATS what i think what is going to happen to me ya know?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
How many miles are on your tires? I just had a novice friend replace a set of tires and he mentioned to me how much more confidence they gave him. Not from the brand of tire or anything like that, but just after a lot of miles, tires will form a shoulder, or flat spot in the center. This leads to a very uncomfortable feeling when you lean from the flat spot onto the edge of the tire. A new set of tires that isn't flat spotted will do wonders for your leaning confidence.

·
Will Race for Food
136 Posts
I'm one of the track day instructors for Team Promotion in the Mid Atlantic. First like others have told you wear the proper attire, I've crashed at more then 120mph got up, dusted myself off and put my bike back together.

Now with that said, many new riders do not have proper body position when they go into a turn. You got to have your body locked in you want to lock in all or most of the following

outside foot on ball of foot
heel locked into heelguard
knee locked into the side of your tank(that is what the indention is for)
belly on the tank
outside arm around the lip of the tank (that is what that indention is for)
butt pressed up against back of seat
butt slid slightly over into the turn (put you crack on the edge of the seat)
put your head onto your inside hand (get as close as possible)
be on the balls of your inside foot
have your heel locked in on the inside heel guard

If you do all or most of the above you will feel connected with the motorcycle and stable with a low center of gravity. Get a bike stand and practice this, then you might start feeling comfortable leaning into the turns. Look at my avatar, is that what you look like when turning (I know it is the street and my picture is from a track day but you still want to learn the right way to do things) Or as many said, most track day clubs have introduction to the track, where you learn these skills.

Z

1 - 20 of 44 Posts